Daly River 2020

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Daly River 2020

Post by Matt Flynn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Wish we had more posts like this, some thoughtful observations WW.

Sun here was blindingly bright in a clear sky today, perhaps it is from the reduction of particles in the air as global industry takes a downturn.

Or perhaps it is just my eyes getting old.

wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler » Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Maths has never been my strong suit. I failed to grasp working with numbers from the beginning. School days memories are bleak with lots of corporal punishment dished out by teachers who thought beating a child would help them understand arithmetic. It didn’t.

Like nearly everything mathematics is present in fishing. Here at the Daly there is about half a dozen anglers active, on any given day (tide pending) there will be two or three fishing, some days we catch other days we don’t, I have no idea what the catch per effort ratio is. What I do know is my results and a couple of the others results and observations.

Given the conditions the fishing has been sporadic and lower than expectations, there was no run off to speak of with the creeks only active for a very short period. The average size of fish is notable, there is a distinct lack of fish in the high 60s and above. I have hooked a couple of bigger fish but a lone 72 is the best I’ve managed this year, my local contacts have had similar results including a couple of them that bait fish. Now the water temperature has dropped I don’t expect the catch rate will increase.

Are these year classes not around or are we not in the right place at the right time doing the right thing? I’d like to think that at least a few of us have some idea of what we are doing after all these years.

I wonder how the comps would have fared this year, maybe the virus spared them a poor result. After all the competitions are about catching fish aren’t they and it’s not a good look when most of the punters don’t catch anything. It’s shown in the recent past that when these comps are a dud fish wise, the resulting tourist business at the Daly has a significant down turn.
Strange that it’s all about numbers, dam those mathematics.

With the lifting of the bio security restrictions I expect the Queen’s birthday weekend will see a flotilla on the river, there are worse places to be even if the fish aren’t about.

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Mon May 25, 2020 4:05 pm

It's not just the Daly WW lot of other rivers freshwater areas up here are suffering big time.
Get out there and in amongst it :)