610 Quintrex 150hp Prop sizing question

Mudwarrior
Silver Member
Silver Member

610 Quintrex 150hp Prop sizing question

Post by Mudwarrior »

Hi all I'm hoping this is in the right section firstly and secondly hoping a few of you have experience in what I'm going to ask and being the territory I would guess there would be a few of these boats around!

I have 2012 610 Quintrex Topend Tournament with a 150 yamaha on the back. Now from what I can tell it seems to be incorrectly propped. Its running a 13.75 × 17 and working out speed/rpm calculation I'm getting a large amount of prop slip approx 16 - 20%. Looking online it should be running a 14.25 or 14.5 x 17 three blade prop which makes sense why it gets a bit of slip. Now can anyone on here confirm this is the right sizing? Also this boat like the Quintrex legends have most of the weight at the back eg seating, batteries etc has anyone run a 4 blade and how did it perform?

Thanks

Andy

FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Re: 610 Quintrex 150hp Prop sizing question

Post by FITZY »

Give Michael Finlay from in and outboard a call and he will help you out . He has a wealth of Knowledge with these quineys and yamahas
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

If the engine is running within its recommended range at WOT then you are close to the right prop. If it runs over the recommended rev range at WOT then you need a higher pitch prop or perhaps extra diameter.

How high the engine is mounted on the transom also makes a huge difference, and the load in the boat, and the trim (nose set up or down).

Four blades are usually slower but give extra "traction" for watersports or loads.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Lats has exactly this set up, I believe he has gone 4 blade
Mudwarrior
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mudwarrior »

theodosius wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:58 pm Lats has exactly this set up, I believe he has gone 4 blade
Sent you a pm, cheers
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Hey mate. I was going to reply to your post. I have just been so busy. I used to run a 3 blade Yamaha 14.5x17M that was really good. Top speed was around 67kmh and I could cruise on 4100rpm at about 43kmh using 1.7-2.0l/km depending on boat weight. Over the years little nicks and dents reduced it's efficiency so I started to look at replacing it.

My mate had a few second hand 4 blades to try so I gave them a go. The 21" was poop. The boat hated it. I now have the 14.25 x 19" 4 blade. Top speed is reduced to about 63kmh. But the mid range stats are excellent. I can cruise on 3800rpm and do 50kmh with the same fuel economy as the 3 blade. So less revs, greater speed. As I do plenty of big trips I stuck with the 4 blade. A down side to the 4 blade is that you can't do a dead slow troll in a billabong as it pushes you too fast.

In your post you also mentioned weight distribution in your boat. When I got my cast deck redone I immediately got better fuel economy. Under it I keep my 2 x batteries that run my minn kota and 45L engel. And tonnes of gear. That boat definitely needs more weight in the nose.

Hope this helps
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Forgot to mention that my mate who builds boats said that a 17" 4 blade might spin out more and give me a better top speed.

It will probably troll slower on 500rpm too.

If you wanted to see my setup, let me know.
Mudwarrior
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mudwarrior »

Thanks Lats might take you up on that!