Dirty water lure

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dirty water lure

Post by ronje »

P3270061.JPG
A pix of a sure-fire taker of barramundi in dirty water that I use.

An ideas/observations about why that is the case?

Easily outfishes ANY of the commonly available lures (for me anyway).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dirty water lure

Post by ronje »

About 12 months ago, Matt published a lot of stuff on work that I'd done on lures, colours etc.

A lot to digest.

What I've been asked to do (now that the Fitzroy is running really dirty) is explain to locals about dirty water lures.

Happy to do that in simple terms and not having to go into the technical stuff behind "why is it so"?

Locals seem to like the easy-to-read views that I've presented now and some have tried the principles out with spray-can and sense of humour with surprising results.
Lures for dirty water.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

A pix of a sure-fire taker of barramundi in dirty water that I use. Any ideas/observations about why (it works)?
I'm guessing the main reason is because it is the one that you tie on.

That's not to discount your strong colour argument, which is why you chose your successful lure in the first place.

Success with a lure sees people use the same lure forever. I caught my first saltwater barra off the bank in Micket Creek on a godawful lure and I kept using it for months after that. I don't think the brand even exists now.

It was all red :D
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Not quite Matt.

I've spent the second half of my life trying to help others with the skills that I've gained by experience (legal, operational and administrative stuff) along with skills that I acquired through education (20 years of it from 4yo to 24 yo) via an engineering leaning for the last 8 years of it.

I'm aware of most of the pitfalls.

Back on subject.

I also use other lures to see what the differences are in different types of water.

If the water is murky and more than 1 metre deep, I don't use those types of lures.

I use a lure with strong action like a 3m Jackal 98 which is another fishtaker where colour doesnt matter. There are others.

My barramundi and king threadfin fishing isn't for food. Its for experimental purposes to test out the theories. At the same time, it gives the opportunity to tag.

I've caught over 3,400 barramundi on a variety of lures so I'm over the jollies of simply catching them. Well and truly.

Now I get my jollies by finding out why, where, when and what things influence catching them and trying to pass on that info to others.

If I want something to eat I go for fingermark and/or blue salmon. I don't go for mangrove jack as I'm an absolutely terrible MJ fisherman. Only ever caught one MJ and that was by accident.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

For those who want to play around with colours while we're all sitting around not doing much, here is a chart of colours which gives the red, green and blue proportions (the RGB numbers on the right hand side).

https://flaviocopes.com/rgb-color-codes/

Here's the calculator again.

https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_rgb.asp

and here's the penetration depth of colours for the 3 main types of water that we encounter including offshore.
Estuarine waters.png
Coastal water.png
Clear ocean.png
Remember the graphs that I found by experimentation that had an X at the peak of penetration in those 3 different scenarios?

My advice then was to "follow the X" and its still my advice now (if I knew how to put an X on the bl..dy graphs).
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Not sure what u're after, Flicken.

You already have the link to pixs of the colours and their RGB codes.

https://flaviocopes.com/rgb-color-codes/

Click it and it'll all open up for you.

If you intend to "do up" some deeper lures for dirty water, it doesn't matter what colour if light isn't going to get down that deep anyway.

How far does light penetrate into the water before everything fades to black firstly for humans and then ultimately for barra (even if they can see better than humans)?

It'd want to be pretty clear water for the colour of a 4m lure to come into play.

Better look at the barra "vision" section of the attachment to see how far light penetrates into water of differing degrees of murkiness (the graph) and then the photos of a few samples.
Revised barra fishing.pdf
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Ok.

I'll get you the brand and colours of spray can fluro paint that i use. Nothing special. Cheapest.

Just rub the lure with very fine steel wool to give the undercoat something to anchor to and then give it a coat of grey undercoat before 2 coasts of the fluro. White undercoat gives a much paler finished colour.

Have to put some masking tape on the lures to separate the colours.

Get them for you shortly.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hey Flicken

Paint details.

Cheap stuff but works OK. Make sure its fluro.

I use frogtape 'cos its got better masking properties. Paint doesn't get under the edges and run into paint you are trying to protect.
P4180020.JPG
The other photo shows effect of grey undercoat (on left lure). Darker.

Other one is using white undercoat. much lighter colours and put on with little airgun by mate.

Use whichever undercoat you prefer. I found that the grey one gives better results on barra (for me anyway).
The white undercoat looks washed out just in sunlight.
P4180021 (2).JPG
Regards
Ronje
bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigwoody »

ronje wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm Not quite Matt.

I've spent the second half of my life trying to help others with the skills that I've gained by experience (legal, operational and administrative stuff) along with skills that I acquired through education (20 years of it from 4yo to 24 yo) via an engineering leaning for the last 8 years of it.

I'm aware of most of the pitfalls.

Back on subject.

I also use other lures to see what the differences are in different types of water.

If the water is murky and more than 1 metre deep, I don't use those types of lures.

I use a lure with strong action like a 3m Jackal 98 which is another fishtaker where colour doesnt matter. There are others.

My barramundi and king threadfin fishing isn't for food. Its for experimental purposes to test out the theories. At the same time, it gives the opportunity to tag.

I've caught over 3,400 barramundi on a variety of lures so I'm over the jollies of simply catching them. Well and truly.

Now I get my jollies by finding out why, where, when and what things influence catching them and trying to pass on that info to others.

If I want something to eat I go for fingermark and/or blue salmon. I don't go for mangrove jack as I'm an absolutely terrible MJ fisherman. Only ever caught one MJ and that was by accident.
Reads like a serious case of Figjam :roll:
Optimistic Pessimist
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Having an opinion is the practical result of being able to compare one's changing personal experiences over time. We learn from being exposed to different aspects of life.

A "negative nancy" attitude doesn't afford that luxury (it's telegraphed in the signature " optimistic pessimist").

Pessimist is the noun and outlines the basic attitude. Negativity. Optimistic is the adjective which qualifies the underlying concept of negativity.

A songbird always finds a song.

I've found a "song" that fits in with my life's experiences.

Mate, get yourself some different experiences in life and you''ll find a much happier "song" to reflect them. That's not hard to do?
Regards
Ronje