Hwd River/King Ck Channels

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Hwd River/King Ck Channels

Post by slug »

Stretching it a bit here I know, but I wonder if anyone has any recent overhead (drone/chopper/light plane) low tide pics of the top end of Shoal Bay?
Seems the channels have moved quite significantly over the past few seasons :roll: , to the extent it's quite difficult to pick the way out on a falling tide ATM.

There used to be a kind sole on here that was a light plane/chopper pilot that would occasionally post great overheads of the state of the rivers out to the east - a low tide overhead pic of the mouths of Howard River/Little Howard/King Creek would be appreciated by many on here I'm sure.

Even better would be GoogleMaps updating much more recent, much more often, much better resolution imagery of the area :rofl: - or if someone has access to that overhead satellite imagery software that I believe quite a few businesses use these days?

Failing that, I guess I'm gunna have to do it the ol fashion way, and load up the esky on a spring low, leave the fishing gear home, and 'go for a walk' :banghead:

Thanks in anticipation .....

Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Hwd River/King Ck Channels

Post by Captain6979 »

Wish i saw that as well, last time we went, we just waited til be nailed sand-bars.....:(
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

Rough guide from my flight in november is that the channel goes from king mouth toward the rock. Then swings left before the rock and goes parralel to shore opp recieving station. Haven't had a chance to fish it though as the wind has been a bugger, and mine is a wet boat. Have some pics but hard to load up and getting outdated now.
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Tks Joe.

Yeah you're spot on - I've fished King quite a bit recently and OK with getting back outa there.

My issue is from King back up into Howard & Little Howard.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Hey Slug, I used to hug the left hand coast out of the Little Howard then shoot across toCoastline between The Howard and King, the take the channel out from a Little King.
But the last couple of years there has been a channel from the Little Howard straight out towards the Rock and into deeper water all the way back to Buff.
Haven’t been out this year, but it’s worth a look as it’s heaps easier and much less balls in mouth crossing flats involved.
Cheers and beers, Scotty.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Yeah spot on Scotty - that deep left hand channel around the corner out the front of LittleHoward that's been there 'forever' has completely silted up :?

I tried to follow that new channel straight out from LttlHwd last year on a dropping tide after crabbing the Golden Mile - seemed to shallow right up way out the front (opposite Kings) so I gave up on it. I'll have to persevere with that route.

The mouth of the Howard has got me phukked tho' - the whole front seems to have silted but there's got to be a channel there somewhere to release all that water on the outgoing ??