Anyone catching fish?

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anyone catching fish?

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Anyone been getting onto any fish of late? Land-based and boat based. I myself have had no luck in the past few weeks, combination of not having time to get out much due to school and not being able to go in decent conditions. My purple patch I had before Christmas seems to have long deserted me again :lol: :banghead:

Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Anyone catching fish?

Post by Captain6979 »

Unless people are using Cherabin at places like Bamboo Creek, its a tough slog. I'm not going to bother until it rains, or the dry season comes for Pelagic-action. might go and load up on Tarpon for skip-baits for Marlin season in the Dry.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Trips last couple weekends to places like Corroboree, East point, as well as Lee point have yielded little to nothing...
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

I wouldnt think there would be much water at the bong. Is it still choked up with lillys captain? Havent been there since 2018. I myself havent been out for a while. Hoping to head out next week if weather permits.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Captain6979 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:46 pm Trips last couple weekends to places like Corroboree, East point, as well as Lee point have yielded little to nothing...
Good to know I'm not the only one haha, although in saying that a bloke got a decent jewie off stokes hill the other day :shock:
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Hi Gibbsy, heaps of water out at the 'Bong mate. but also many many lillies.
Small plastics, small poppersw, slaying tarpon, ha ha! even got a lot on the troll out there. only saw few crocs as well, they be up on the floodplains for sure.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Nah it's engine and trailer maintenance season!
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

yup, pulled apart 8 reels last weekend , and cleaned them all. ha ha!
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

I'm still getting a few in the harbour but working hard for them. Plenty undersize but they are chasing small prawns mainly and don't like my offerings. Most fish still caught on gold bombers. I think I've seen more than i have caught.
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Joe when they are on the prawns hard to go oast a small zerek shrimp lure worked really slow. I find hookups hard some times but when that is happrning i running a small treble on the loop knot and most of the time that pins them. You dont need to put much action in tjose lures just grub them across bottom with some pauses usually works
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

Gibbsy, had a problem on the last trip. I grabbed the bluewater box not the barra box so was very limited on lure selection. DOA prawn had no interest and only had 6 other hard body barra lures. Need to label my tackle boxes.
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Actually saw a Tuna caught L/B last W/end :o
They have been busting up in close to E/point in the mornings , I spoke with the fisho and he tells me it's his second one L/B ,, very rare to get them from shore .
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

jeffish wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 am Actually saw a Tuna caught L/B last W/end :o
They have been busting up in close to E/point in the mornings , I spoke with the fisho and he tells me it's his second one L/B ,, very rare to get them from shore .
No way, that's crazy. Especially in February. Can't imagine it being any good at the moment with the wind we're getting.