Sometimes you get lucky

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sometimes you get lucky

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Well... I guess I got very lucky today. Went down to Cullen bay with a mate, and just had a bit of a flick and a muck around on the walkway and rockwall. Ended up chucking a big piece of servo squid out, for nothing. My mate only managed to land a stingray, and we saw a small barra cruising around but it wouldn't eat. Around 6:30, we decided to call it. Picked up the rod and began to wind.... Hold on. Is that weight?!?! I set the hook, and whatever I hooked woke up and tried to take me around and under the pontoon. I quickly passed the rod to my mate, who gave it back to me as we climbed around the poles. I had to go hard to get the fish out from underneath, and after a furious minute or so, we got a flash of colour. And then a body shape. It was... a Barra. And not a rat either. Dumbstruck, we got it to the surface and my mate lipgripped it. It was incredible. Barra aren't supposed to be caught on servo squid, are they? The fish measured 83cm, and is my biggest baz so far. I guess sometimes you get lucky 8)

Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Sometimes you get lucky

IMG_20191218_212054.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Great land based fish.
Well done
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Well done mate. Not the best choice of baits, but hey, it worked. And those wharf barra would be picking off squid under lights every chance they get
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

Heard a few years ago somebody caught a metery down there using a raw prawn. Didn't know that your were allowed to fish off the walkway/pontoon?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

83cm is a cracker for a harbour baz, especially LB. And you didn't even get your shoes muddy.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks lads, wasn't sure what u was expecting but I definitely wasn't expecting that when I reeled it in. I Wish, you are allowed to fish off the pontoon and walkway, but only in specific areas and without getting in the way of boats. And the raw prawn story is true, I saw the report a while back. Flickin, my mate told me that one of his uncles caught a Barra on squid at Charles Point, but I didn't believe him. I guess I do now haha. Not sure what's happening, couldn't buy a fish a few weeks ago, then it's like someone flicked a switch!
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

My friends daughter got an 84cm out at Cape Hotham, about 10km off the coast, on dead squid. If they hungry, they will eat. ha ha!
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Captain6979 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:54 am My friends daughter got an 84cm out at Cape Hotham, about 10km off the coast, on dead squid. If they hungry, they will eat. ha ha!
I guess so, always heard the lock barra were fussy though. Of all things I didn't expect squid to do the job.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:clap: :applause: :clap: :applause:
Thats a BLOOOODY ripper Mate , cool catch :mrgreen:
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

jeffish wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:36 am :clap: :applause: :clap: :applause:
Thats a BLOOOODY ripper Mate , cool catch :mrgreen:
Thanks Jeff :mrgreen:
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Merry Christmas 8) You must have been good all year and you said you wanted a chrome slab.

Seen an 8 year old catch a 65 at Buff Creek ramp on servo lolly squid late last year too. The old man nearly threw his bait caster away! :D
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NinjaFish wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:17 pm Merry Christmas 8) You must have been good all year and you said you wanted a chrome slab.

Seen an 8 year old catch a 65 at Buff Creek ramp on servo lolly squid late last year too. The old man nearly threw his bait caster away! :D
bl..dy oath mate, in a way I was filthy too. Been to all these spots and I get my biggest barra at one of the most fished spots in Darwin :? 8) . Gotta love fishing