Breaking the drought

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Breaking the drought

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

After a long couple of months without catching a decent fish and many fruitless trips, I ventured down to larrakia rockwall today around 6:30am with my mate. Saw a good current line and a bit of bird activity, so chucked on a metal slice and had a few casts for nothing. Decided to try something different, and put on a decent sized popper. Second cast, a queenie around 60cm came up and struck it, but didn't hook. Spurred on, I sent my lure out again and did the same thing a further four times, before the next cast being hammered right at the rocks by a decent queenie. A short but intense fight around the boulders ensued, however I was able to control the fish soon enough. We landed him and brought him up for some photos and a measurement. He went 68 to the fork and 77 to the tip, by no means a huge fish but after months of no fish, I was stoked. After that, the sun came up fully and the current line was all but gone, so I switched to a chunk of mullet. The rest of the trip was spent using baits to try and tempt a nice reef fish, however the sharks were on the chew and we got smoked multiple times. Also saw a decent barra cruising next to the rocks a bit later, and got smoked by something that didn't feel like a shark and rubbed the braid on the rocks. Possibly a big Trev, as there were some fair sized golden trevally that showed up once or twice. All in all, not a bad morning.
IMG_20191211_200758_500.jpg
IMG_20191211_200758_531.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Breaking the drought

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice work!

Such a great sportfish, they fight like hell and are very accessible for LB fishos.

I saw some dead ones floating outside the harbour years ago, must have been caught in a shark net and discarded, they were HUGE.

Funnily enough, a well-known fisho was pictured with a huge skinny in the paper a few days later, I did wonder ...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Years ago I used to catch good coral trout and 1m queenies floating unweighted pilchard halves half way along the other rock wall in front of the boat ramp. One day I was getting busted off every bait. In retrospect, I believe they were probably a jewfish school.

Matt, wasn't it a world record fly capture?
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Top Report Young Gun , Great spot there I've been smoked many a time ,, you just never know whats going to show up . I have caught a Jewie there once , wasn't big but it put up a hell of a fight .
Good Work :clap:
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Matt Flynn wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:21 am Nice work!

Such a great sportfish, they fight like hell and are very accessible for LB fishos.

I saw some dead ones floating outside the harbour years ago, must have been caught in a shark net and discarded, they were HUGE.

Funnily enough, a well-known fisho was pictured with a huge skinny in the paper a few days later, I did wonder ...
Queenies are my favourite fish for this reason. Biggest one I've heard of being caught is at mandorah, my mate reckons someone got a 113 on a big popper.
Lats wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:09 am Years ago I used to catch good coral trout and 1m queenies floating unweighted pilchard halves half way along the other rock wall in front of the boat ramp. One day I was getting busted off every bait. In retrospect, I believe they were probably a jewfish school.

I've heard of coral trout and jewies being caught off the wall, looking through old reports. Might give that a try next time :mrgreen:
jeffish wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 am Top Report Young Gun , Great spot there I've been smoked many a time ,, you just never know whats going to show up . I have caught a Jewie there once , wasn't big but it put up a hell of a fight .
Good Work :clap:
Cheers Jeff, yeah I had heard about the spot but didn't know how I could get on base. Then I found out that my mate who I had know for a year lived on the base, but had never fished the wall :banghead: . Safe to say he now wants to go down all the time. We got smoked/snipped a few times yesterday, the first few I reckon were sharks, although the last one I think might have been a big Trev from the way it fought. Looking forward to going down more this school holidays and trying different baits/methods.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Dunno, the big-fish photo I saw at the time was probably legit but the timing made me laugh given that I'd seen three or four of these floaters that week, all mammoth skinnies.

Would have snapped a trophy pic myself but the floaters were a bit woofy :D
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Went back down today, no fish but got smoked again a few times on mullet chunks, and saw a good size Trev and a barra later in the day that surfaced in the dirty water.