The NT's new $8m reefs

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Re: $8m reefs are going in

Post by al57 »

even though i love my fishing ,by the sounds of darwins economy i think the 8 mill might be better spent getting the city going again .my mate who has been in darwin for 25 years was saying the place is so close to going broke it worrying for his huge construction company he works for
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Saw a few comments along those lines. Darwin sure has changed if people now want crime control and economic stimulus more than artificial reefs. This would not have been the case 20 years ago.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Matt Flynn wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:52 pm Saw a few comments along those lines. Darwin sure has changed if people now want crime control and economic stimulus more than artificial reefs. This would not have been the case 20 years ago.
Hasn't changed at all for me Matt - I still couldn't give a fly'n rats toss about crime control or economic stimulus - both overstated and blown out of proportion for mine.
Sells papers & gives some something to bleat about I guess :roll:
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

was up there in oct last year and from living there in 2000 till 2004 it hadnt seemed to have changed people wise ,still the streets were full of the locals on their pension day,pubs were a bit different with that card register thing in the bottle shops .city was def different with all the development that has happened .hardly any cranes on skyline is a big indicator of development and seeing my old campany in damage control wasnt good to see
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Matt Flynn wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:52 pm Saw a few comments along those lines. Darwin sure has changed if people now want crime control and economic stimulus more than artificial reefs. This would not have been the case 20 years ago.
This $8m spend is economic stimulus. Local labor, local construction, local concrete suppliers etc. Don’t forget labor for the local seafarers and shipping companies, architects and designers... a good news story for Darwin if I’ve ever heard one and solid anchor points to house the crims should the Gov ever get tough enough.

This $8m is also a better long term spend instead of the temporary results that fade away in todays economic climate. It’s investing in the fishing and marine future for Darwin both amateur and commercial and I hope for more of the same as we’re not as bountiful of fish as some believe. I’m pretty happy I took part in the online survey a year or two ago that Kenny Vowles began where you placed an icon where you thought artificial reefs should go. I peppered the (7 from memory) all around one area that has been selected and commented on each that this was very barren ground for miles and miles, which Darwin is renown for when offshore hence over fishing and closed areas in close to shore.

I’m not an expert but creating strategically placed reefs has to benefit all marine growth and encourage greater breeding and survival rates. Besides, build a reef and they will all come, build another shade structure or playground.....
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Well said.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

NT Fisheries put up this video ... anyone visited the new reefs yet?

https://www.facebook.com/FisheriesNT/vi ... 141509276/
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good to see :mrgreen:
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: The NT's new $8m reefs

Post by slug »

Video reminds me of my scuba diving days in Darwin harbour - visibility 1 meter !!!
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

NinjaFish you hit the nail on the head mate
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Video reminds me of my scuba diving days in Darwin harbour - visibility 1 meter !!!
Only place I have dived where I swam down the anchor rope and went head first into the seabed ...
stroma
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stroma »

A few unconfirmed reports of good fish already coming from the reefs. One guy claimed to have caught jew and even a sailfish from one of the reefs. Additionally, one of the local charter mobs went to the Lee Point wide artificial reef not long after installation and caught both jew and snapper.