Tales of a Tassie tourists trip

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
shamozzle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tales of a Tassie tourists trip

Post by shamozzle »

I did alot of scrolling through old posts before and during my trip to the NT, so I thought I would repay the favour with a bit of a run down on a few fish that we caught.
My first crack was out in the harbour on my mate, Stu's boat in search of a milky. We found plenty and after lots of refusals we finally got one to take a fly. A few tense moments with a hammerhead and we had him in the boat!
Next up was a day guided in Bynoe harbour. We spent the morning cruising around flicking under mangroves while we waited for the tide to drop. This snared us a couple of small barra and a few other odds and ends but by now the water was low enough to casting some drains. We managed another couple of barra doing this with one drain/backwater in particular producing both of them. A mix of small hard bodies and soft shads brought them undone.
As the Mrs was on this trip a bit of luxury was in order, so we headed for Wildman Wilderness Lodge for a couple of nights of pampering. Didn't get alot of fishing done here apart from a couple of hours at Shady barrage and a few trips on the fat bike down to the billabong near the lodge.
Ended up with a couple of little barra at the barrage, couple from the billabong and a couple of Saratoga from the bong as well. All on soft plastics of various shapes and sizes. Gee wizz there's plenty of friendly crocs in the billabong at Wildman! They were happy to chase hooked fish, lures or probably even fisherman if you got near the edge.
With time in the tropics running out I headed out with a spin rod and a few lures to the deckchair cinema today for a cast. Walked towards Larrakeyah flicking amongst the rocks with a little B52 but didn't see much until I was nearly to the Navy base where I saw a small barra swimming along the beach. I managed a half decent cast in front of him and he rushed up to my lure but bailed at the last second. Seeing one was a bit of encouragement but I was getting thirsty so headed back along the shore towards purr hotel. By now the tide had dropped a bit more and exposed a big rock that I hadn't seen before, with the wind creating a colour change right next there had to be a fish sitting there. Sure enough a nice silver barra charged out and came up tight. I didn't get a measure of him but I'd say just legal, luckily for him I'm heading home today so he ended up back in the drink.
Had a blast this time round, now I have to get back for a metrey I think!
Cheers for the low down from the forum and tight lines
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Tales of a Tassie tourists trip

Post by Sy »

Nice trip mate!
Cheers

Sy
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Hope you get your Metrey next time.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Cool report , Good luck on your next trip 8)
And thanks for sharing ,,some nice pics :mrgreen:

Cheers
Jeff
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great report, you did alright in a tough year for NT fishing.
shamozzle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by shamozzle »

Thanks fellas, I think I'll leave the Mrs at home next time and come right in the thick of the run off. I've already got my fingers crossed for a biiiggg wet season!
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

Great post, some nice fish there.