Saying goodbye to a dear companion

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Saying goodbye to a dear companion

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Went to the Cullen bay sandbar today. To cut a long story short, there was a blacktip shark around 1.3 metres hanging around, and it snipped us multiple times. I then decided to chuck out a mullet, no trace just a hook and sinker. I then leant my rod up against the esky, and sat down on my phone. About 20 min later, I hear a huge splash, and see the same shark thrashing around about 20m out. I then see something disappear into the water, and think WTF? It's then that it clicks. My rod is gone. And there's a trail in the sand where it was dragged down. I quickly look around, and the same shark is now 100m out jumping and thrashing on the surface. I ended up asking another bloke who was on the sandbar if he could take me for a cruise to have a look, but the cruise turned up short.
Still not sure how it happened, had the reel on super loose drag, and I would have thought that I would get snipped instantly but anyway. Have noticed that at times the reel would tighten up the drag if drag was pulled while on super loose, and it has happened to my two mates who have the same reel. Or maybe I'm just an enormous idiot lol. :banghead: :bricks:
So I say goodbye to quite possibly my favourite all time combo, the combo the landed at least 90% of my fish. It was a shimano saragosa 6000 on a silstar crystal blue powertip 6-10kg. RIP you good thing :cry:

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Saying goodbye to a dear companion

Post by theodosius »

That sucks. Maybe you had a loop around an eyelet
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

theodosius wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm That sucks. Maybe you had a loop around an eyelet
Possibly, I think my theory about the drag tightening automatically might also be right. I thought it was just mine, then my mate's mentioned that when the drag is on ultra loose it can tighten automatically if line is pulled off.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Had the same thing happen to me down the Daly crossing one night, put my rod down to help a mate for about 30 sec and walked the 15 metres back to where my rod used to be and there was nothing there, i was filthy!!
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Yep my Saragosa does the same thing. The drag seems to tighten automatically after been pulled. It's good for hooking up fish but no good if left lying around and not watched.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RedDevil wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:51 am Yep my Saragosa does the same thing. The drag seems to tighten automatically after been pulled. It's good for hooking up fish but no good if left lying around and not watched.
Surprised that I didn't find out earlier considering how many times I used it for livebaiting off mandorah jetty. Strange that it doesn't seem to be mentioned in reviews etc considering how popular the saragosas are.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Edo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 am Had the same thing happen to me down the Daly crossing one night, put my rod down to help a mate for about 30 sec and walked the 15 metres back to where my rod used to be and there was nothing there, i was filthy!!
Absolutely sucks losing a rod like that, especially knowing that you could have prevented it. That rod a favourite of mine too :cry:
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

no good at all! i have a saragosa as well, will need to keep a closer eye on it beach fishing from now on!
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

souva31 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 pm no good at all! i have a saragosa as well, will need to keep a closer eye on it beach fishing from now on!
Yeah mate, I would the sure it's in a proper rod holder if you want to leave it alone. A shame because other than this they're great reels. Mine served me well.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Flickin4em wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:00 pm I'd suggest a Baitrunner 6000D might be a better option for fishing livies young gun and I find there's less guesswork busting off on big fish with a proper drag setting once you set the hook. It has a good audible strike drag preventing most overruns on fast hits too. :mrgreen:

1 metre of 32mm conduit is a cheap investment for your next setup on the beach and a shorter length can be customized with an additional piece of timber to clamp or screw onto our wharf railings for future trips too.
Cheers flickin, yeah I might look at a baitrunner of some sort for livies now once I get a bit of coin back. What have your experiences with the baitrunner d been like?