Hardies 4WD track.

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Hardies 4WD track.

Post by Flickin4em » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Hardies 4WD track opened on Friday last week. Less than ankle deep on the main crossing acording to the information I got off my brother. So with a few lures (too many to use them all ) put into the backpack and my rod in a PVC tube in the back of the ute I was headed out for a crack at a June entry flicking the areas snags with hardbodies in a few spots.

The bulldust on the 4WD track was a bit of an issue for the crew following in behind me as it was hanging in the trees for ages with the lack of wind and the late afternoons setting sun adding to the sunstrike factor. This was making the roads potholes and ruts almost invisible in amongst the high grass.The creek crossings were easily traversed in 2WD and like usually happens nowadays the track could've been opened weeks if not months ago for ''high clearance 4WDs '' Eventually as the sun was almost dipping below the treeline I was arriving at the end of the pool and quickly re-rigging up a new lure on the GL2 after I had cut the top 6m of line off and retied my double and leader giving myself a full 2m length of 45lb schnieder to prevent busting off fish deep in the logs.
Screenshot_2019-06-14-19-37-22.png
A new STRADA 150 in Bob Marley colour was soon tied on the end of the leader. Then the ute securely locked up as I powered up the old faithful garmin GPS and checked that I was carrying spare batteries, drinking water and my H14R.2 LED LENSER intending to be back well after dark. Grabbing the spiral prodder to retrive any snagged lures I began the trek in towards the spots. After a bit of bush bashing it was time to see if there was a few barramundi around.

The water was now freezing cold and a few of last year's spots had been filled with sand I had noticed on the way in but several bits still held good potential. The first spot produced a sooty grunter on only the 3rd cast of the day. It was tiny and not much bigger than my 150mm lure. Leaving me wondering if it had actually wanted to eat it or just hit it out of territorial aggression. I released it anyway after a quick pic and continued onwards for bigger rewards (hopefully).
20190611_181623.jpg
A bit further on a decent sized croc launched in off the opposite bank reminding me that this is a bit of a dodgy area to fish Landbased at. I didn't see if it was a saltwater one or not and assumed it was a freshie as there was an abandoned nest nearby in the sand. No boat access is available in this section so I wasn't about get scared and bail out having come this far already. I was quietly walking further down and got into position for my next casts high up on a steep bank overlooking a tight bend.

Seconds later my lure was smashed a metre into the retrive and 50lb braid hissed through the eyelets as I forcefully applied a bit of thumb pressure and side angle on the rod to add to my chances of pulling the fish out of the huge twisted snags lining the opposite bank. A short but brutal tussle around the timber was soon over and after pulling it back through the branches below I was releasing it not long afterwards.
20190611_183705.jpg
The next cast was sent out and it spashed down right at the end of the overhanging trees in almost the exact same spot as I had just flicked to. It too was boofed by a slightly bigger model almost immediately. It was landed without fuss unlike my light spin rod that I ran last year. I got the phone out and snapped a couple of pics off for the seadogs comp before sending him back in too. This fish was a bit bronze and it must've been living in one of the rivers bordering lagoons earlier this year going off it's black fins and golden colour. A couple more casts went untouched over the next few minutes and right as I was about to move spots a much bigger model slammed the lure but it somehow missed all of the 9 owner hook points on the three trebles fitted on it. Leaving the crocs favorite corner I headed down a bit further on.

It was getting a bit darker by now and a few flying foxes carrying on as they headed out for their dinner was the only noise for miles. The moon was well up now and over half full lighting the area up a bit, I hurried to get into my next position without using the headlamp just yet. A near miss from standing on some loose bamboo leaves nearly had me ending up in the drink on the way, :o but I made it to the next deep pool unscathed just.
20190611_184442.jpg
The spot I wanted to fish was a bit silted up with more sand at the start of it than I had ever seen there in over 10 years. But at least 100m of the snaggy section remained at a depth of 4m or deeper. Full of anticipation I gently got into position and unclipped the lure from the hook keeper and flicked out a cast into the deepest section. No luck. .... More casts followed for a similar result.
20190611_183753.jpg
I was thinking that ''this is a bit odd for this spot'' when the solid underwater noise of a nice subsurface whump was heard right as the lure reached the rod tip and a large boil disturbed the still water. This gets the heart racing even in the daytime. But after seeing a few crocs enroute then having a nice fish do that to you in the dark it is definitely a bit of an adrenaline rush for sure. I cast back out along the same paperbark logs and worked my lure slowly over the timber below the surface letting it hit the logs then rise up over them as it swum back to my feet. It was inhaled just as it got there. Another short struggle ensued and after unwinding the fish from it's tangled lair I released it too.

The spot soon finished producing fish and I couldn't be bothered changing lures so I left for an area I'd previously explored last year a bit further on. The bamboo tunnels got pretty gnarly on the way and even unzipped one of the pockets on my backpack, thats how tightly closed in it was. I thankfully managed to get out of the timber and back into the river bed with only minor damage with blood running down my cheek from a small cut and several thorns in my arm and finger. The lure was given another swim in the pitch black but it was way too shallow as I found out once I got the headlamp out and lit the pool up. Damn it.
20190611_195133.jpg
As I travelled back up the opposite side of the river the track wasn't very much of an improvement on the total sh#t fight of tunnels on the other side and I was glad to finally get back out of the chaos and back into the river bed after the 300m mission in the forest which took ages. I had a couple more casts on the way back through at my first areas I'd fished but no more takers could be convinced into having a go in the bright moonlight after I had educated them a bit on my first pass through the area. So I packed it up and hit the spotties ready to to head back home back through the suicidal wallaby gauntlet out this way.

Oh well there's always next time. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Hardies 4WD track.

Post by Swoffa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 am

Great read. Thanks for sharing
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:40 am

Be crocwise out there fellas there's some big geckos in that area. Heres a short Video off my round 2 adventure out that way.

Prime spot to get eaten right there. :croc:
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Cool reading. Can't view the tube though (unavailable).

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:08 am

Dont know why it can't be viewed ninja :banghead:
But here's a screenshot off it instead showing the size of the ones that live around there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Landbased”