JB Mechanical Outboard remapping

NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

JB Mechanical Outboard remapping

Post by NT Wombat »

Anyone had any experience with these guys?

I've got one good report from a source I trust and one bad report from one I'm suss on, would be good to hear from more people before I go getting my ECU remapped.

My motor is a yamaha f50, which is the same power head as the 60 and 70hp motor, same gearbox ratio as the 60 but different to the 70.

Thinking of having it remapped for more HP and spinning a bigger prop.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: JB Mechanical Outboard remapping

Post by Matt Flynn »

One thing I wouldn't dick around with is a Yamaha outboard. Getting home is so much more important than going faster or trying to squeeze out better mileage.

Can't help thinking Yamaha would have got the balance right.

A very "untechnical" opinion though, happy to be educated :D
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

A guy at work had his ECU remapped earlier this year, a Yammy 60 from memory. He sent it off to Adelaide to get it done, he is very happy.

I had my Nissan Patrol done a couple of years ago, not a full on tune either, and the difference is amazing.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Do you reckon your mate would mind me giving him a ring to pick his brains a bit Jabsy?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I had my Nissan Patrol done a couple of years ago, not a full on tune either, and the difference is amazing.
Why don't they map them like that in the first place?
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Matt
I agree all the after market stuff that make improvements they specialize in certain aspects
not the whole package.

But the manufacturers have warranties, reliability, emissions, legalities and reputation.

most add on places do not i suppose.

Cheers
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Yep. Look what happened to VW when they started dicking around with ECUs to get around motor vehicles standards in different parts of the world.

VW is damned lucky that its vehicles weren't simply banned from import in many countries.

In respect of after market modifications, modified vehicles can be put off the road as they no longer meet the Aus vehicle standards that applied on import. All states signed up to those federal standards Most common mods include "chipping" for performance, lights, suspensions, wheels etc.

So there's an element of risk (including insurance) in having aftermarket mods but it seems to be that its ok as long as the "modifier" gets away with it.

I don't do it but I guess a lot do.
Regards
Ronje
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Take into consideration outboard motors are not the same as a motor vehicle. Look at your cruising rpm on your boat in comparison to your vehicle. As the others said theres a reason they mapped it the way they did from manafacture
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Import standards for outboard motors came into force on 1 July 2018.

If a motor was imported before that, they may be exempt.

If imported after 1 July 2018, don't risk dicking around with it. If caught, you and the modifier might not like the result.

https://boatgoldcoast.com.au/australian ... e-engines/
Regards
Ronje
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Like I said my motor (Yamaha F50) is identical to the F60 with the exception of a restrictor in the airbox and the rev limit on the 60 is 200 RPM higher.

Yesterday I removed the restrictor from the airbox and that alone gained 10km/per hour and 500 rpm (from 5400rpm/34 km to 5900 rpm/44km/hr) I'll reprop it now and hopefully bring WOT RPM back to the recommended 5600 and pick up a little more speed again.

If the power head is the same unit as the 70, surely tuning it to produce say 65-70hp is safe as houses, and then fit the right prop so the engine is revving in the sweet spot as per the manufacturers specs?
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

NT Wombat wrote:Do you reckon your mate would mind me giving him a ring to pick his brains a bit Jabsy?
Sorry, just seen your question. He just left for the day, but he is always up for a chat. I will get you his number.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Matt Flynn wrote:
Why don't they map them like that in the first place?
Mostly emissions, but i also suspect to keep the performance down for warranty issues etc.

In a petrol, inspectors can test your emissions level from the exhaust output, but I believe there is no gear available to do this on a diesel. (hence their popularity)

Yes you can void your insurance with a mod, but I doubt that the insurer would be ripping the ECU out of a wrecked vehicle, and the data would be encrypted anyhow. They'd be better off checking for EGR blocks and the like.
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

How about this one then ?
http://www.nizpromarine.com/
:D
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

Hey guys. Just came across this post and wondered if anyone else has gone ahead and had the remap done?

I’d love to have my Yamaha F50 done with their tune but it’s a lot of money and I’d really like to hear some real world feedback about the service and results before I commit.

Talking to them over the phone they seem like a professional company though so I felt quite confident in it so far.

Cheers. Rosie.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Bumping this one, apparently it has been searched a lot on Google, seems to be a lot of interest.