Packet barramundi

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Packet barramundi

Post by Matt Flynn »

My wife brought home a packet of frozen barra pieces.

Almost shed a tear having cooked barra for dinner. Nice and simple, fried in butter, salt and pepper.

Even though it was farmed fish it tasted good, like the real deal.

Also was quite good value, with 10 portions in the bag.

What I didn't like was that it said "Product of Vietnam". Would have liked to have seen "Product of Humpty Doo".

Not being racist, I would just like to see Aussie barra in the shops.

What's the go Woolies? Surely freighting frozen fish across the world is not smart?

Other thing I didn't like was that each piece was vac-packed in heavy plastic. Nicely done, but there must be a better way.

Nonetheless .... burrrrp, six pieces left :chef2:

b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Packet barramundi

Post by b-radical »

What it should have is the little kangaroo made in australia green and yellow label with 100% aussie made :bonk:

Shame we have enough plastics to deal with here even the local markets are still trying to get there head around it
:cheers:
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

I seen a good one the other day in IGA,Australian beef sausages made with 0% Australian ingredients
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

or the pealed prawns from the deli, caught in Australia packaged and processed in vietnam... hmmmm long way to send them fresh prawns
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Why is this stuff not at the local supermarket? ... https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019- ... r/11024966
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

"Cos the suppliers to local supermarkets get packaged stuff cheaper from overseas than they get fresh farmed stuff locally.

The public perception is that if you want fresh barramundi you go to the local seafood supplier/s in town. But it isn't cheap.

Local seafood shops are half the problem. The customer pays the same price as the Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane fish markets or it gets sent away. As an alternative, the local seafood retailer has these

cheaper imported barra fillets from Vietnam etc.

Most production in Aus goes to fish markets. It might be farmed but its classed as fresh.

I see that WA's Cone Bay barra facility has been bought by Singaporean interests.
Regards
Ronje
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

dont buy the cr.p in first place from over seas and they will stop bringing it in ,simple .