What are the best crab pots ?

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Re: What are the best crab pots ?

Post by fish4me123 »

I made solid galved mech pots. Rust not an issue yet 5 yrs. It was a prickly job as dealing with mesh is not nice and no plan.They do not fold but I have a big boat. The only one gone so far is one I ran over So far crocks have been kind to them. I hate crabing so I tend to leave them and get on with fishing. At goulbourne island I use 2 x metal rings with prawn tralwer mesh as I check them every 20 min and usually bag out.

tight lines
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I reckon simple drop dillies are under-rated, if you are willing to work them :mrgreen:
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Steel mesh pots are best but a pain in the arrs in the boat, made some well over 10 years ago, just need to replace the tubing and plastic openings every now and again, share farmers will take either but i will usually dump them on the way out, go fishing and pick up whats left on the way home,
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Drop dillies work well if you check them regularly or try these...http://www.hayespots.net/products.
Southy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Southy »

mako wrote:Drop dillies work well if you check them regularly or try these...http://www.hayespots.net/products.
I agree mako, dillies always prove to work well if worked properly, they'll out crab a set pot any day 8)
Southy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Southy »

I have 5 of those pots above for sale, brand new, only used once.

I paid $55 each for them, if your interested make me an offer :cheers:
Ruffy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Ruffy »

Never given the dillies a go, only the square and round mesh. When I go crabbing I always work the pots pretty hard. I’ve given up on trying to go on fishing and crabbing trips, and now focus on just one. If crabbing, will run the boat limit of pots. Set them out, have a quick beer, then run through and set them again. I remember reading a study probably ten years ago where they found crabs were actually able to get in and out of pots so the dillies make sense but once again I haven’t tried them. Don’t have any dramas with share farmers as I always stay at the run, only issue is crocs.