Funding for fishing groups

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Funding for fishing groups

Post by NinjaFish »

Politics aside, I agree too.

Just think how we the small could negotiate with the NLC.

bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigwoody »

The work conducted by afant is not being questioned, the association has in the past achieved important and progressive outcomes for NT rec fishing and it is certainly a necessary advocacy.

We have to understand that afant does not directly negotiate with the NLC.

The NT Government is the sole negotiator. Government seek input from advocacy groups and other stakeholders to formulate a position for negotiations, on any subject.
Government does not like dealing with a united front, it makes it difficult for government to manipulate, change or ignore.

Unfortunately the adage that you are judged on the last thing you done stands firm.
Optimistic Pessimist
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

G'day Ronje. No, Still in an adviser role though I am working for the Infrastructure Minister now.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Good Tristan.

The work conducted by afant is not being questioned, the association has in the past achieved important and progressive outcomes for NT rec fishing and it is certainly a necessary advocacy.

I don't know how AFANT performs as advocates for rec fishing.

I do know that they receive $170,000 per year in Govt grants for salaries (for 2) and operating costs (more in years gone by when their salaries were a lot less).

They also receive $10,000 to distribute as small grants on behalf of Govt.

In addition, an extra funding amount is also being directed their way ($5,000) to be spent of rec fishing awards. That $5,000 was taken off the salaries and operating costs. That meant that AFANT couldn't squirrel the money away into a bank account.

Over the years, AFANT has squirreled away $372,000 in excess salaries and operating costs into a bank account as at Dec 2016 (annual financial reports).

That's gotta be about $400,000 by Dec 2017 and probably $425,000 by now.

Now that's on top of the apparently successful advocacy roles that they've undertaken over the years.

I guess territorian rec fishermen (the intended recipients of this largesse) could rightly ask why then has nothing been done with the money.

A few years ago, The Surf Life Saving movement in Qld was found to be rolling in excess funds despite still obtaining Govt grants for its operations. So much so that they were investing the excess in real estate on the Gold Coast. THAT created a lot of public angst for the Qld Life Saving management when it was uncovered.

They had gotten a bit confused over who they were supposed to be representing and in the end started focusing on themselves (the body and not the individuals) instead of the job of actually saving lives. Those pesky drowning people were getting in the way of running a good operation, it seems.

Surely there are any number of worthwhile actions that AFANT could undertake with $400,000 on behalf of recreational fishing in the NT. Set up a proper fish tag tracking scheme that's publicly viewable would be a start. You guys could think of numerous projects I'm sure.

What raised my eyebrows with this was the rush to fund all sorts of events like RecFish Aust used to do and simultaneously attempt to turn "old mutton" news into fresh lamb news

If anything, Theodosius, they OVER-FUNDED. An excess of $400,000 in a bank account demonstrates that. They've made no attempt to spend the money on recreational fishing projects or support projects.
Regards
Ronje
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Glad there's money in the kitty, and if that's the case then that can only be a good thing given the uncertainty at the moment
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Fair enough. I'm sure that you guys will make of AFANT what you will.

Good luck.
Regards
Ronje
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Not knowing or having to think much about all this I appreciate the debate and knowledge. :cheers:
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Good news day :)

Tender has been awarded to Shorecast NT for $8M artificial reefs. :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Good to see a local company get the gig. Looking forward to seeing these in the water.
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

Why didn't they use this money to fix the Dundee Boat ramp
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

8 mill for artificial reef jesus what are they putting under the water ,bl..dy sydney harbour bridge ?,talk about ripoff to the public .as fitzy said get your infrastructure fixed in all areas before blowing money like that when your fishery is supposed to be best in aussie anyway without artificials needed .
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I tend to agree, but the NT economy needs some cash injection spread around. Perhaps other projects could have done the same. That said, would it not be better for one company to design the reef and seven local companies to each make $1m worth of the reef? This might be clumsy, but they aren't building a space shuttle, and it would spread the money around. Maybe the main player will use subs.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Matt Flynn wrote:I tend to agree, but the NT economy needs some cash injection spread around. Perhaps other projects could have done the same. That said, would it not be better for one company to design the reef and seven local companies to each make $1m worth of the reef? This might be clumsy, but they aren't building a space shuttle, and it would spread the money around. Maybe the main player will use subs.
Tha Mad Hatters tea party has ideas...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That is nuts. Building artificial reefs next to the Great Barrier Reef. And doing it so coral will grow ...

They can build them if they want, but not with my tax money thanks.

Oh hang on, I don't have a choice :(
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Well, there we go.

The answer to the threats to the barrier reef.

As one reef looks crook, we'll get the high school kids to build a replacement. But only if Bob the Hat's party gets into the House of Reps.

Cheaper too.
Regards
Ronje