Darwin to Ramingining

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
BigT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Darwin to Ramingining

Post by BigT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi all, myself and a couple of mates are going to Dhipirri in June and are considering driving out! Any info on roads ,route,fishing on way out,booze,permits etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Big T :drinking1:

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Darwin to Ramingining

Post by Jer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:49 pm

You're probably better off calling the NLC and asking to speak with someone. Or you might find the info you're after (minus the fishing info) on the NLC website.

BigT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Cheers Jer onto it

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 pm

I got nailed by the NLC driving to Black Point for a job.... The guy just pulled over, got out of his car and stood on the road in my way. Didn't know if I should be stopping or bowling him over. Had no idea he was NLC until I spoke to him. It was an urgent job at short notice, and NLC had no intention of assisting in getting a permit thru in a rush. The client said dont bother, just drive out.....

BigT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Good to know Jabsy,thanks for the heads up

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm

I personally wouldn't ''just drive out'' the ramingining coppers have a fair few siezed cars in their compound from last dry season.

Sort it out with NLC first is my advice.... way cheaper that way.

Roads are pretty ordinary and you'll probably come across some great corrigated sections on thecway aswell as a fair few river crossings. Early on in the season you'll be needing a snorkel but it might be different this year with the dud wet we had. It is a pretty spectacular view of the escarpmet at the start near cahills though and well worth the coin of the permit, good tyres 2 spares and a well setup 4WD are a must.
Also you'll find that they are mostly dry and semi dry communities out that way too and alcohol is strictly controlled with a permit system. For example out at Maningrida you had to have a light beer permit with a clean record for 3 months to then apply for a heavy beer permit. Even then you couldnt just go to the store to buy it. Every 2 weeks it came in on the barge and if you weren't there to pick it up off the police it went back in the locked sea container for another 2 weeks. Cars have been siezed for just one can of spirits at some areas in the past. .... but if you want to risk it you can't say you haven't been warned. :roll:

Secure any gear you want to keep is my advice. As even when inside our 8 foot fenced accomodation compound cast nets and handlines would just dissappear from the boat while we were out working on their power infrastructure. Good luck and give the lower Blythe river a go while you're out there. :mrgreen:

If you could put up a post once it's done too we'd all love to read about the adventure.

Watch out for the odd suicidal buffalo on blind corners and sweeping bends too. :banghead:
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

BigT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks Flicken , after that I think we might fly out but very pricey to do so.

Return to “Weather, Roads, Rivers”