North-West Coast Mixed Bag

souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

North-West Coast Mixed Bag

Post by souva31 »

Spent a couple of weeks back at the old man's place in sunny, but mostly windy Stanley in NW Tassie. Had quite a few sessions fishing at the Stanley Wharf and surrounds and managed to land a few nice fish - not the size of the NT, but a few very nice eating fish - most enjoyable trip. Over the 2 weeks, managed to land my first King George Whiting, a few Calamari Squid, Blue Mackerel, Australian Salmon, a Barrel Pike and very happy to bag a few feeds of 'Snotty Trevally'. Didn't get photo's of all of them, but here are a couple of holiday snaps.

IMAG2615.jpg
IMAG2536.jpg
Anyone who doesn't know Stanley - here is a photo.
IMAG2571.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: North-West Coast Mixed Bag

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice bit of country up there, good to see you got a few.

There was a company down here selling smoked snotty fillets covered in peppercorns in a vac-wrap pack, they were a good lunch. Haven't seen them for a while, maybe they went bust.

I am down the bottom end. It was 40C yesterday. Haven't fished for ages, too busy with work, and lately, bushfires :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Nice.

I was wondering what some of those fish looked like. Did a trip with the missus a few years back after the last big fires - still smoking in some places, hugging the coast from Devonport to Hobart and turning left at every opportunity to see the coast but didn't fish due to a short visit. It was hot and 42 in St Helens one day. I never touched steak or pasta for the 7 days only local seafood (lobster, oysters and local beer roadside was awesome) and gorged myself in Hobart on Blue Eye.

Reckon Tassie turns on the best fresh seafood dining I've experienced and I have plans to take the Toyota over one day and check out the rest of the North and West coast with the fishing gear this time.
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

Matt Flynn wrote:Nice bit of country up there, good to see you got a few.

There was a company down here selling smoked snotty fillets covered in peppercorns in a vac-wrap pack, they were a good lunch. Haven't seen them for a while, maybe they went bust.

I am down the bottom end. It was 40C yesterday. Haven't fished for ages, too busy with work, and lately, bushfires :D

Yes, was good fun - the Snotty's ran for a few days, so happy with the timing. The old man lives on the wharf when they are running - good fun and very nice eating. 40c is nice and toasty - have a good mate working for Forestry Tas and he does firefighting - he's been a busy boy.
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

NinjaFish wrote:Nice.

I was wondering what some of those fish looked like. Did a trip with the missus a few years back after the last big fires - still smoking in some places, hugging the coast from Devonport to Hobart and turning left at every opportunity to see the coast but didn't fish due to a short visit. It was hot and 42 in St Helens one day. I never touched steak or pasta for the 7 days only local seafood (lobster, oysters and local beer roadside was awesome) and gorged myself in Hobart on Blue Eye.

Reckon Tassie turns on the best fresh seafood dining I've experienced and I have plans to take the Toyota over one day and check out the rest of the North and West coast with the fishing gear this time.

Yes, I'm the same, mostly eat seafood - love the whitebait if its in season down there too, not to mention scallops and abalone - although the local beef from NW Coast is very, very nice if you can get hold of it.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good one Steve , nice too see a few different fish :mrgreen:
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

"Yes, I'm the same, mostly eat seafood - love the whitebait if its in season down there too, not to mention scallops and abalone - although the local beef from NW Coast is very, very nice if you can get hold of it.[/quote]"

The missus actually bought a length of Cape Grim Scotch from out at the Gateway Butcher a few weeks ago. Very expensive and it sounds very 'un' Territorian of me but that was the best tasting fillet I've ever had too. :D
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

NinjaFish wrote:"Yes, I'm the same, mostly eat seafood - love the whitebait if its in season down there too, not to mention scallops and abalone - although the local beef from NW Coast is very, very nice if you can get hold of it.
"

The missus actually bought a length of Cape Grim Scotch from out at the Gateway Butcher a few weeks ago. Very expensive and it sounds very 'un' Territorian of me but that was the best tasting fillet I've ever had too. :D[/quote]

nice one, yes cape grim beef is awesome, might head down there and grab some for myself - thanks for the heads up.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Nice looking spot
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

In the meat game I believe Cape Grim is a brand rather than a region, paddocks in the south with their cattle have Cape Grim signs on them. They seem to have a good rep for quality.
souva31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by souva31 »

Matt Flynn wrote:In the meat game I believe Cape Grim is a brand rather than a region, paddocks in the south with their cows have Cape Grim signs on them. They seem to have a good rep for quality.

ah, that's interesting - I'd always just assumed they were all from the region up in Woolnorth. cheeky (Tassie) southerners ... next they'll be claiming Boags as well!