harbour fishing report over the last week

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member

harbour fishing report over the last week

Post by pelletouse »

hi guys
I didn't take the time to do a report earlier I was a bit busy with work, loosing my job and looking for new one which i'm still looking for.
Anyway i went out 3 times last week within the harbour for afternoon fishing during the in coming. I was suprise how much fish we did manage to catch that was the 1st time since I own my boat, I saw that much fish on my sounder. That was crazy!!!
We manage to catch over last monday, tuesday and wednesday some queenie 80cm overall, GT or brassy i'm not sure how to tell the difference between 1 to 6 KG and few golden and 1 little flathead.
All the fish have been caught in the same area between doctor gully and the naval base on soft plastic lures Z-man.

And last saturday, we went out for barra fishing on the way to bleesers creek. We managed to catch a nice size golden while trolling on the flat on the way to the creek and in the afternoon 1 small barra around the 45cm and that was it for the day. We caught some nice bait without any success but still have a good day.

And yesterday 1st try for jewfish fishing within the harbour we went to medkhuna wreck for the high tide at 10 something. I managed to find the structure on the sounder we have been for the last 2 hours of the in coming and the 1st 2 hours of the out going. No jewfish at all, we only caught some some goldies and stripey. I didn't anchor up as I wasn't if I was allowed so only fishing while drifting which was ok but I lost so many sinkers on the wreck. At least it was a good day out and try a new spot but still have to work out what's best for jewfish. I can't wait to catch one.
We were using frozen squid as bait.

Thanks for the brave one how red me.
See you for a next report
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: harbour fishing report over the last week

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good times had :)
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Good report thanks.

cheers :D
steve29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve29 »

Looks like a few awesome days on the harbour well done
fishhunter81
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fishhunter81 »

Well done mate, watch out for these storms rolling through!
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

You can anchor over the Medkhanun as it's not in the channel.

Just make sure your on the western side of the green buoys

Try sounding around between there and around the John Holland Barge. Jew school up away from the wrecks but use a sand / mud anchor and make sure there's a bit of run, say 3m max like this Saturday coming up. Just makes it easier when the tide runs at half speed to get anchor.
pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pelletouse »

Thanks Ninja for the tips.

So is it better to do this kind of fishing on low or high tide? And nothing bigger than 3m right? Sorry for maybe asking obvious question but i'm still working out on how haunt that jewfish.
I'd like one day to have someone show me around to understand better.
Thanks ninja
Can't wait to get 1 on board
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Fish the first 2 hours of the outgoing and same on the incoming on big tides and the same could be said for the neaps. On the high with a neap tide it can go dead quiet but you will still find the sharks!

The bigger the run the bigger the Jew and I mention this weekends 3m movement to make it easier for a mud anchor to hold you on your spot. Around the wrecks, to anchor right on the your spot your anchor will usually be in the mud so a 6-7m tide will drag the anchor and you'll drift off your mark every time unless you use a big one.

A reef anchor will not hold you around these wrecks unless you hook right on to the wreck itself which I sometimes do on the neaps and then pull the rope in until you're straight on it - you don't want it too wavy if you do this and don't use a regular pronged reef pick.

Big tides run at 1-1.2m per hour, this Saturday the tide is running at only about .50m per hour so easy fishing and easy anchoring.

Fish at night for more chance of Jew and any tide your comfortable in.
pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pelletouse »

Thanks Ninja for the really good advice.
What i need to do it is just to practice how toi anchor up around the wreck and fin where the fish are.
And for night fishing i would love to go but i wamt to practice first during the daylight and then i'll go out at night.
And i need to setup my boat for night fishing too, no decent light yet inside the boat.

And i would love one day to go out with someone who knows what he is doing and teach me how to fish the wrecks.

Thanks ninja i'll keep you updated when i'll get my first jewfish on board
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Secret business going on here, somewhere! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geraldton892
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Geraldton892 »

Before the introduction of GPS leccy motors if i wanted to get over a wreck fairly easy i use to do the old float/brick and line.
Basically as soon as you see the wreck on the sounder i would deploy the brick tied to line over the side attached to a float. I would research the depth the wreck was in and try and match that to the amount of line i would have attached to brick for accuracy. Once in the water i would use that as a mark to anchor and drift back to it verifying with my sounder. In saying that i never caught jewies straight of the wreck. After i got my leccy motor i would use my sounder and find where the bait balls were sitting near the wreck and then position the boat there, some times this could be 8-10 either in front or behind of the wreck depending on tide and pressure wave. It was at this time that i started to pull jewies on a regular basis usually top of tide and up-to 2hrs after the run-out. For the Harbour i plan on at least 2-3 days before a full moon as the high tide change is usually just before or after last light.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Agree with geraldton here. The spot at bynoe and charles point where we get jewies. Last couple of hours of incoming and first couple of outgoing. Early morning leading upto or on full moon. Get the jewies just off the reef or wreck. As soon as your directly on structure you get reefies. Fins the bait balls then find the jewies near them.