Arnhem Land

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
robpados

Arnhem Land

Post by robpados »

Gday Fisho's,

Im in the planning stages of a trip to Arnhem Land, More specifically the north east unless persuaded otherwise. Myself and my old man plan a big trip every couple of years and have done a couple trips to the roper, Kimberley, Exmouth and cape york. but Arnhem land has been on our wish list for as long as i can remember so we are planning.

We will be taking the 480 top ender and travelling to 2 4x4's hoping to spend 3-4 weeks up the after we travel up (im coming from perth and the old man from NSW so a fair haul for both)

We are fully set up for remote camping and 4x4. Im defiantly not asking for your fishing marks what Im after are some must see spots and places to camp and best times to go we are thinking after the wet but not so close the rivers are going to stop us from crossing type thing...

So any and all advice will be much appreciated

Cheers in advance :catch: :drinking1: :drinking1:

Rob

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Arnhem Land

Post by al57 »

mate i have just come back from there ,i hired the house boats on coroboree billabong which was brilliant having a boat there would have been even better ,with your setup you could stop at the mary river retreat in the camp ground on the arnhem highway it has all facilities even meals in the restaraunt it is about 15 k from the ramp at billabong there ,big toga and barra in coroboree .hope this helps
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Try this link, Rob, for permits regarding Cobourg peninsula permits. https://nt.gov.au/leisure/parks-reserve ... ional-park . Access through Cahills crossing will be your only barrier. Plenty of fishing and exploring to be done. Vic settlement is a must see. Hope this helps. :drinking1:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

also from that resort i was talking about Shady camp is easily accessable from there and the road now is half bitumen in with only 27 k of dirt which makes it a hell of a lot better on the trailer .
robpados

Post by robpados »

Cheers for the info fellas, trying to get away from the easily accessible areas and head over to the eastern side of Arnhem land. I hear shady camp can be very busy now days? Still would love to fish the areas you mentioned including the coburg peninsula but that may be another trip all together.
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

just fish those poular areas during the mid week times,tues to thursday ,i always do it anywhere i go and never have a prob with crowds.very envious of your trip though ,would love to get out to coburg with a boat and mates
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

If you head over the East camp at Daliwuy bay. Plenty of good fishing inside the estuary for Jacks, occasional barra, Trevally, queesfish and other random bits and pieces. And good pelagic and bottom fishing out the front as well for Trevally, tuna, queenfish, mackerel, trout, red emperor and various other fish. Very nice country
Buffalohunts

Post by Buffalohunts »

The majority of Arnhem Land is out of bounds, in fact about Council'sut 95% is not for general public to travel without entry permits aquired at the NLC office in Darwin, Katherine, Gove and Jabiru - The Northern Lands Council , that must be adhered to, all entry and access permits with strict rules and regulations about times and dates of where and when you need to be. In general you wont be granted access into the more remote areas unless you know someone in that comunity you wish to travel to. The North Central Hwy from Barrunga to Gove is the only legal gazetted or public access Road in Arnhem Land, that you dont need a travel permit for. There are still rules and regs about travelling to Gove, check with the NLC first before entry, things like road conditions or closures can change very quickly.
NO ALCOHOL so don't bother trying to take grog out to any of the remote communities, it's not worth the risk of getting caught. Even if you get alcohol in to your new found pristine fishing destination, the local fellas will do you out of every drop, give an inch and they will take it all.
#Caution# it's extremely important that you stay on your designated travel paths thats stated on your permit, ceremonies and full road closures are not uncommon and you will not be allowed past, if you ignore their plea of no entry, theres a good chance, that your car will be destroyed, whilst your still in it..Please don't get me wrong, the Yolgnu people of North Central Arnhem Land are beautiful people, I owned and operated a joint venture in Buffalo & Barramundi Hunting and Fishing Safaris with the Gurriwilling (Swamp Water) people of Ramingining. We had 177 aboriginal members in our corporation, that l would administer land use agreements, royalty payments, trophy fees per animal, cattle station leases etc. I paid top dollar for land use in some of the best designated, remote, reasonably unfished fishing and hunting areas in all of Arnhem Land.