Paint cracking on lures.

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Paint cracking on lures.

Post by Captain6979 »

Hi team, picked up some nice 2nd hand lures other day, but some that I thought had an awesome alternative paint scheme, have actually got paint cracking on them. Wasn't sure if I should just remove all hooks and spray them with clear sealant or not. Any thoughts? Cheers! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Paint cracking on lures.

Post by al57 »

mate i reckon they have cracked due to being left in the tackle box out in the sun,most of those resin/plastic lures have a small amount of gas inside them which expands with heat making the lure either pop open,split or do what yours has done .they should be still fine to use if they havnt bent or twisted at the same time..keep them out of the sun from now on and you will get heaps of use out of them .cheers AL
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Thanks Al, yeah , scored like 15 lures off a guy on Ebay. Just checked, no twists mate, all good. The paint still seems good, no flakes, just those small lines visible. Much appreciated mate. Tight Lines! :)
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Give them a quick wipe with isopropyl alcohol (not too much or you'll take paint off) and a couple of coats of clear acrylic, they'll be all good then.......
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Cheer Blinky. any particular clear acrylic? or just a universal spray can from bunnings you reckon? :)
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

what ever you do never put an overpriced poop box jackall any where near sun ,i lost 20 tn 50 and 60s one year in an afternoon .they expanded and blew open after being left in the open .
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Captain6979 wrote:Cheer Blinky. any particular clear acrylic? or just a universal spray can from bunnings you reckon? :)
Any will do, I get mine from SCA.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Thanks lads. gave em a spray yday, look better now for sure! Hoping to hooke em onto a few pishys on Friday!!