Salmon and sunburn

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Salmon and sunburn

Post by Flickin4em » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:51 am

Like the title suggests this is a yarn about a midday lap.

I stupidly didn't wear my buff the whole trip. Whilst the fish were boofing the sunscreen was a far off concern and getting scorched as a possible consequence would be something to deal with well and truly later on. The lucky esky was stocked with water, ice, mars bars and a couple of other snacks and a few turkey cans as dehydration is a killer up here these days. Then I was off of to test my skills again on the local fish population while avoiding a massive storm out on the horizon. Which I took a pic of enroute to the creek.
20190118_135808.jpg
So after a quick trip to tackle world to get a few more last minute additions to the box I was enroute to the river. Miles ticked by as the sun slowly emerged from the surrounding clouds as the distant remains of a dismal attempt at a monsoon departed the coastal areas. The new gunn pt road was awesome and as the last corrigated sections of SWA road turned to mangroves the anticipation was back. The removal of the straps and launch routine went by without any issues even though the ramp was 500mm out of the water. :|
20190118_102933.jpg
Soon after negotiating the rockbar below the ramp I was headed up the front and with almost glassy conditions it was on today. Within an hour I was dropping off the plane and pulled up near a favorite area I have got fish at before way up the top of one of the capes creeks and its after a passing flick at its mouth and its surrounding mangrove area. The ever popular kryptonite BIG ASS B52 was deployed and the troll runs began up the creek until it turned into tiny arms then back down for a few laps. About 45min later I had marked a couple of groups but not much actual action on the lure I was trolling this time.
20190118_143424.jpg
The motorguide was put to use and a change of plans was unfurled. I headed way up to the upper limits of the area to the shallows. Also I was downsizing the lure as a few scared popeyes were surrounded by heaps of prawns spraying accross the waters surface as the salmon and the odd small barramundi tucked into a feast in 30cm of water.
20190118_124107.jpg
As I was now using a different tiny prawn lure I'd also dusted off the Ci4+ stradic 4000 but ot was now mounted on a shiny new E6X 12-20lb rod for this years efforts. :mrgreen: A couple of casts and the first hit had drag unloading off the eggbeater but the hooks pulled free on its run down the creek. This was the first of many to get off this trip and a good sign that I finally found a lure that the big threadies here would even consider as a potential meal. The bait continued to be smashed again and again with the hits now and then thrown in to keep it exciting.
2019-01-18 14.00.06.jpg
The retrive varied as the fish moved along the varied terrain on the corners to a few different depths sometimes a fast clip of steady pace was a goer other times a long pause and the a short slow lift was more than enough action on the lure to get it slammed as it fell.
Screenshot_2019-01-18-22-59-11.png
Potential future mods of mine to the jigheads for this type of area may include a suspending or floating version too. Soon enough I had my limit of decent threadies and had released more than a few not always voluntarily either :banghead: and I began the troll runs yet again chasing a trophy barra for the start of 2019 on the nearby colour change along the shoreline out the front for the tide change.

On the 2nd pass into it the rod buckled hard in the holder ...

FISH ON! !! 8)

50lb whiplash was peeling out at a good pace. I quickly grabbed and turned on the gopro and wrestled the net out and assembled it between winds ( I was on a solo mission) and bursts of throttle to keep it out of the gnarly bits and soon enough after a bit of reversing had it boatside after a few spectacular aerials and powerful runs. The battle was far from won and the fish was straight onto the new snag out wide.... ie. my hull and motor leg.

A bit of a lap or 3 and I almost had it in the net but pulled it out thinking I would get the lure. Hesitation cost me dearly as it gently rolled on the surface and gave one last headshake for the days battle freeing itself from the grip of the single piont of the rear owner in its jaw. Then in slow mo. This fish which was close to 90cm I'd reckon then slowly righted itself then gave a gentle kick and glided forwards to dissappear below the murky water off to dust a few more anglers before it's eventual capture. ... however I did manage a 2 minute clip of the action and would've released it anyway. So I was sort of a little stoked about that bit of footage I'd got and my mates will definitely get a good laugh when they see it too... I soon had another salmon as a consolation prize on the next pass
20190118_130323.jpg
The day wore on and to cut a long story short I shouldve bailed out then.
20190118_163802.jpg
Instead several hours and many many km later a few different areas of future potential were sussed for another day out due to the ideal conditions for a blast aswell as several new marks added to the LOWRANCE ELITE 9 Ti. With the tide now well and truly on its way in i headed upriver for a few laps at the crabbers shacks. But no such luck however another crew got onto a mid 80cm model as the current poured in through the gap. I gave the area one last crack casting then snagged my lure which unfortunately was unable to be retrived :cry: . So busting it off I then headed home to the fun job of cleaning the entire setup of stuff and the 3 threadies aswell as dicing up the frames for a upcoming mission on the muddies another day.
Screenshot_2019-01-18-23-00-15.png
Just another spoilt as day in the Darwin sunshine ... gotta love the territory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Salmon and sunburn

Post by Daz12 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Nice write up Flicken. :clap:

b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Cool story and great pics to go with it :mrgreen:

cheers
Everydays a good day when your fishing

FOMOB

MR126
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MR126 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Great post again

Timmo
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Timmo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:11 pm

awesome post
Tim "TIMMO"

Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Great story and pics, well done!
Stuck at home pruning and mowing here, dammit!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks fellas.

Just had a bit of a go at downloading a few of the action shots off the GoPro using the image capture function in the app. I got a few good shots including the frame of the single last hook point of the rear owners parting company with the solid barra previously mentioned in the story above :cry:

I also added a pic of a decent blue salmon
20190120_135006.jpg
which was not to bad considering I'd forgotten the rods this trip... ROFPMSL hilarious stuff I know!!! :banghead:

and another nice picture of one of the threadies from the other days effort :applause:
20190118_113022-1.jpg
I also noticed today that lures under 1/4 oz are a bit of a problem to cast with a 60lb handline ha ha :evil:
20190120_110008.jpg
(thankfully it was stashed under the hatch in the tinny otherwise I would've had to just turn around and go home without even launching)
20190120_193948.jpg
My solid blue salmon was nailed on the good old running sinker rig with a 7/0 mustad big red suicide hook baited up with c#ttie and threadfin fillet cocktail. The line cuts from the bigger ones today were sooo worth it too !!? :mrgreen:

I haven't fished with mono in years and it was like playing a fish on a gigantic rubber band .... LOL the good ol' days eh boys .:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Captain6979
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Captain6979 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 am

unlucky mate... damn..:(

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:04 pm

great read ,made me think i was back up there .my next trip[ will be with my boat on the back as all you mens stories makes me want to get back sooner

Southy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Southy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Great effort on the old hand line.....

Nige
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Nige » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 pm

Great read!