Potential for a big fish kill at coroboree billabong

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Potential for a big fish kill at coroboree billabong

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Went out yesterday for a bit of a night session.

Got doughnut. :roll:

Not suprisingly though :roll: ..... once we arrived at the ramp you could smell the stench of the dead water... yuck :cry: . On inspection it was the colour of a cup of tea with no milk and you were only able to see into it about 30 cm too. Hopefully it will get flushed soon otherwise all the bigger baz will all die in the next couple of weeks and I will be doing a lap through there with the landing net looking for red tags :naughty:
Last edited by Flickin4em on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Potential for a big fish kill at coroboree billabong

Post by al57 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:01 pm

thats a terrible smell too.hope it doesnt happen out there its an awesome place .was out at one of our great river system s two night s ago and that smell was right thru the system .we landed one fish early but new something was not right with the water

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Back in the boat already??

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Be a sight rolling into town with 6 tagged fish...
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 pm

60K would buy a good filtration system :D

I'm surprised there haven't been any reported kills yet with the heat and no real rain. Water got to 33.9 out in the harbour a week and a bit ago. Could only imagine the temps out there.

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 pm

theodosius wrote:Back in the boat already??
Nah... .couple of days yet. Waiting to get it back from NT unique : new floor and re-rated for its new 60 that I'll drop round to him tomorrow 8)

Just headed down and had a bit of a LB flick for a few hours off the ute. Concentrated our efforts on the last couple of hours and then 20 minutes past moonset off the bank we parked up with the ute and had the esky and camp chairs on the tray sitting on the on the ramp :mrgreen: there was 4 BIG CROCS still sitting nearby so be cautious if you go, they loved the poppers and only a quick rip and run by my mate saved one of them on a bit of a cast up the creek to the right that comes through from Hardies itself.

( The upper reaches might be cleaner up near the S bend ? But I'd say its unlikely ?)

and also a bit of sad news for the last bit of the buildup ..... the house boats are done for the year too. :drinking8:

Just as another point for the other people going out anywhere else near a billabong soon : The MOZZIES were completely off tap as per usual..... :D

GOOD LUCK YOU'LL NEED IT.
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:08 pm

STANDY wrote:Be a sight rolling into town with 6 tagged fish...
Yep I will do a post up if I head out when ''it goes off'' and may need a decky with a strong stomach and good set of nose plugs. .... ha ha ha.

I honestly don't think they'd accept the pics of them even if you cast over it and dragged it in : being a legit lure capture of a dead fish. LOL. And image the PONG going on in the esky. :rofl:

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:34 am

Yep.... :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:28 am

I've seen an aircraft similar to that flying low over the floodplain on the east side of Sampan. It flew quite low over Sampan as we were heading home.

I suspect it is simply spraying for weeds.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 am

Yes, the "renegade pilot" chasing an MDF tag theory is highly unlikely.

Nonetheless, it would be good to know what they are spraying around the waterways.

NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:54 am

They'd be spraying mimosa on the Mary floodplains. The only 2 chemicals they apply from the air are Metsufuron Methyl and Starane. I haven't heard of either of these being responsible for fish kills before but you never know