Baitcaster Recommendations under $300

fugu

Baitcaster Recommendations under $300

Post by fugu »

Hi all, I need your recommendations for a new Barra baitcaster.
I’ve been using a Calcutta 200B but I’ve decided it doesn’t cast nearly as well as my old abu and I put that down to the fact that the level wind doesn’t move when in free spool. It’s also a bit bulky. I use 30lb fireline on both reels and the abu definitely casts better.

So I’m thinking one of the tear drop baitcasters for under $300 might be the go. Something with a decent max drag rating and a level wind which moves in free spool!

So far I’m looking at The 13 concept A and and the Shimano Curado. Curado has a long legacy but not sure about the 13? Any others I should consider?

Whaddaya reckon?

fugu

Re: Baitcaster Recommendations under $300

Post by fugu »

Thanks sea dog, I didn’t realise I was asking so much!lol
I figured more baitcasters would operate like the little abu but apparently that’s not the case.
T-wing looks good but i see what you mean about durability.

Maybe my issue is more about user error and a more comfy low profile reel might help improve the situation regardeless of the level wind.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Daiwa Tatula 200 HD.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

PM me if you want matey, I've got a 13A concept if you wanna take a look. :) Great reel.
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

I'm a huge fan of the Abu Revo range, the new Inshore 4 would tick all those boxes & more.
11kg of drag in a low profile shape/form
Line guide always moves, in out, or free spool.
Light & powerfull 7 bearings
Designed for harsh saltwater use

https://www.motackle.com.au/abu-garcia- ... -reel.html
bucky007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bucky007 »

Chronarch G are around $280 if you look around, which is a really nice reel. Curado K is also a really solid smooth reel.
I recently switched to Daiwa and found they are really nice too, maybe even nicer. I'd look at a Tatula or even Zillion.
Ruffy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Ruffy »

Hi Fugu,
Before you tossed in the 200B I’d get it serviced, and get the bearings cleaned and re-oiled/replaced. As has been mentioned, none of the smaller baitcasters I am aware of run the level wind in freespool. Might be a case of get the old girl humming again and throw the rest of your cash at lures or a new rod?

Cheers,
Andrew
fugu

Post by fugu »

Thanks for all the responses, peeps.
Definitely some food for thought here.
tangels
Seadog
Seadog

Post by tangels »

If you want to sell ya Calcutta pm I'll buy it.
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Acsle »

Separate question, but how do the Calcutta D's go for lure and live fishing?
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

Fugi another reel worth seriously looking at is the quantum smoke s3 models ,i have shimano and diawa reels in all sizes and these new reels from quantum are a level above them all imo ,they have rediculous drag s on them and cast a mile if you need ,i have had them now for 12 months and used them wholey for my barra fishing ,with 1000 s of casts and many fish landed now under each reels belts they havnt missed a beat .can be used in salt and fresh cost around 220 for the s3 and bit less for the heavy duty older model .i am not endorsed by any fishing brand but wish i was as i would replace all my dud shimano and diawa reels with them lol
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

Fugi I would be looking at the new Shimano Trax 200 . I have been running the 300 tranx for a couple years now and it is still as smooth as the day I got it . If you speak to Ron at fishing and outdoor world he will tell you very little of them have come back for service compared to the curado. I have just go the 200 and it is awesome