King Ash Bay produces again

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
ccutting93
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

King Ash Bay produces again

Post by ccutting93 »

Had a quick trip down to king ash bay looking to get a few end of year Barra. Could only get a couple of days off work so I rang the brother and reed up the best tides we could find that fell over a weekend. Packed the car and boat, picked up my brother(Gary) and his bride(Shannon) and off to KAB we went. Slept at the boat ramp first night which wasn’t too bad a few mozzies but the wind kept them down. Up at 5am to be at our spot by 6.

First troll excitement was through the roof. Halfway into the troll and Gary leant over to have a look at the sounder and says we usually get a fish on the first troll, not 5 seconds after the words left his mouth BANG my rod buckled over a quick fight with a few good jumps we had a 72 in the boat. Yeeesss!! Pressure of getting a fish for the trip was now gone we settled into a rhythm and ended up boating 10 fish for the day including a 106 and dropped a few more solid fish.

For those anglers who use the classic lures a quick question. Have you ever straightened a split ring??? We pulled two trebles and nearly opened another. I thought it may be the drag that my brother was running at but I honestly could say it wasn’t as it wasn’t that tight at all.

Anyway heaps of fun was had and the second day was just as good with a further 6 solid fish landed biggest a 92. Highlight of the trip was the metery as well as Shannon landing her first legal Barra 62 then Shen got a 66 and a 72. Gary’s biggest ended up being two 86cm Barra.

Late into the day storms came across and sent us home early with a good feed of fish and some great stories to tell. King ash bay gotta love the place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: King Ash Bay produces again

Post by mike davis »

Yeah great place isn't it. Just did a trip there for the first time in october stayed on a house for 10 days and fished the islands out front mostly, trolled the mouth of the macarthur usually on way in. No barra caught lost some big fish trolling the mouth but never saw them. The islands were a different story but, end of the first day couldn't touch our ribs from where the butt of rod wasd sitting because they were to sore. Cleaned up on big tuna, queenies, big gts, coral trout, mackies, couple of nice size bluebone and golden snapper. All caught on small gillies metal slugs, fish could not get enough of them. Caught good fish every day around islands just tried to find deep water and it seemed to work. Will be back again soon I think.
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Awesome couple of days mate.

I take the middle treble off and go up a size front and rear treble,i want them hooked on one treble.If they get 2 trebles in the right spot they can flare the gills and pull hooks or open rings
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Great trip report 8) You make it sound tooo easy :mrgreen: :catch:
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Some of the Territory's best country out there. Well done 8)

Mate had a metre plus Queenie on out near the islands there and on its last jump right near the boat a split ring let go. A semi circle of it spun itself into the back of his hand at lightning speed and buried itself deep. Had to cut it out with a razor blade.
ccutting93
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ccutting93 »

Cheers guys thanks for the feedback
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Sounds like a great trip! I've had a split ring on a classic fail on a 2kg beach salmon. Replaced all the rings and hooks and pulled in a metery straight after
Bushy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bushy »

Sounds like you had a great trip to KAB, well done.