Outer harbour

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Outer harbour

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Hi all, this weekend my mate and I are looking to take his 4.5m boat to Six Mile buoy/wider parts of the harbour for a look around and a bit of reef fishing. Does anyone have any advice for the area, or anything to watch out for? We have an electric motor with spot lock, so should be able to fish the shipping channel.

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Outer harbour

Post by mickkk »

Be careful with that, if you are within the 1km exclusion zone for n spot lock you will get done.
I have had a little luck in the shallower water on the east point side of the channel. Just drifting around and finding good ground and going over for another go. Lots of ledges and drop offs around there. Only got a few better sized Goldie’s and lots of stripes. Was at night too. But Kept the kids happy
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mickkk wrote:Be careful with that, if you are within the 1km exclusion zone for n spot lock you will get done.
I have had a little luck in the shallower water on the east point side of the channel. Just drifting around and finding good ground and going over for another go. Lots of ledges and drop offs around there. Only got a few better sized Goldie’s and lots of stripes. Was at night too. But Kept the kids happy
Thanks, although what exclusion zone are you referring to?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah, OK. All good then.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

You've only got a 70cm rise on Saturday so I'd just drift around anywhere.

Bagged out today with 70cm Coral Trout, Cod, Goldies, Reds etc and just fished between Cullen Bay and about a mile inside the 6 mile. Plenty of spots on the neaps, just need to tune your sounder. The deeper you drop the bigger the fish.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

It worth having a crack at the Bottle Washer too. Pin it and keep circling wider as you go as Jew sometimes school up 20 to 30m away from it.

Just don't throw an anchor down on it.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks, do you use gulps/jigs or bait?
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I use local squid for the harbour as it lets you know if the fish are there or not and doesn't leave you wondering. If you get on a bite with the squid, jigging works fine but use big gulps/plastics and you will attract the bigger fish to bite if they're there.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks, I was gonna drop a bait on the overhead then jig 7 inch Z man's if I am getting bites.