Advice on buying a 2nd hand boat

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Advice on buying a 2nd hand boat

Post by RedDevil »

Hi all
I'm in the market for my first boat! 8)
Looking at something around the 5m mark and 2nd hand.
Is there anything specific I should be looking out for when viewing?
cheers

Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Advice on buying a 2nd hand boat

Post by Captain6979 »

I've only bought the 1 boat so far, but would suggest seeing a leak-test done on any potential boats. Fill it with some water, and check for leaks. I'd be asking for any paperworks for services/repairs etc, if theres a motor on it already.
Maybe take a fabricator/welder person with you, to check over the hull as well, to check for cracks/ deficiencies. But then again, im a rookie to the boat-game. :)
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

I've only bought the 1 boat so far, but would suggest seeing a leak-test done on any potential boats. Fill it with some water, and check for leaks. I'd be asking for any paperworks for services/repairs etc, if theres a motor on it already.
Maybe take a fabricator/welder person with you, to check over the hull as well, to check for cracks/ deficiencies. But then again, im a rookie to the boat-game. :)
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

you have so many top boat makes up there to choose from ,but on my list for allround great dry aluminium boats is the quintrex millenium hull ,i have had three now only 4.5 to 4.7 but they are brilliant in all conditions ,the driest hull by a country mile of all the aluminium hulls i have been out in .i cant talk about the newer plate rigs that are built up there though ,they do look fantastic and are real tanks.dollars will be a big thing as as you go up in size the price sky rockets .5.0 mtr rigs up there are the norm so good luck with your choice and as the other fellas said get a full hull test done for cracks and leaks and holes and motor test ,if the seller hasnt anything to hide he will endorse this anyway
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

The main question is how much do you want to spend? you can get a 5M boat for 10k or 35k but the will be very different boats.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Yep. Set your budget first then allow another 5k or so - you'll always find the extra.

Research local as to what the main boats are around and remember, everyone has an opinion as to what they reckon is best.

Take your time.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Thanks for the advice and replies.
I'm no hurry and have been on the look out for the past 6 months.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darwin- ... 1200323960
This Formosa is something I'd like to have a look at.
what do you guys think?
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

I owned a Formosa and it was like driving a brick through the water . I have had many boats from plate to glass and have settled for a 5.3 quintrex topender tournament which they call Territory Legends these days due to its versatility .
I would be checking the hours ( don't be scared of 500 -800 hours as most boats will do over 100 hours a year and a lot of that is trawling so not going full revs all the time also service history and the floor ( if timber check for soft spots ) Also don't fill with water as most cracks in boats tighten up when the hulls full of water . Drain the hull when backing down the ramp and take for a ride and also let it sit still for a while . Pull the bungs when pulling out at boat ramp again and check for water as the crack open up when on the water due to the force of being below the water line
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

The general consensus I've heard from people who have been in, and owned Formosas, is that they are a real "wet-boat." apparently get pretty wet moving along in them. I've not been in one yet tho.
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

avoid bluefins at all cost s as well ,had one and two mates have them now ,if the formosa is wet wait till you get in one of these ,anymore than 5 knots and raincoat on and goggles .they are a horribly wet rig.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Just make sure it's not stolen.............. :evil:

post268251.html#p268251
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Did you ever get it back Melv?

Couldn't have been too many Range Rovers around that couldn't be searched for!
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Matt W had a boat for sale on here somewhere a while ago. Can't remember what it was but it was a good deal.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I have 580 Formosa and can’t say it’s any wetter then the Trailcraft, Quintrex topender and tabs territory I have owned. My pick diffinitely the Formosa then the tabs a close 2nd ,Trailcraft with the Quinnie coming in last. Ride in quintrex not bad when it’s small to medium chop struggles in the rough stuff. Be prepared for the cracks and more cracks . What quinntrex owners don’t tell you how many times it’s been rewelded hahaha. After owning a quintrex I can recommended a good welder. To be honest you ask 10 people and they well recommend 10 different brands.

Work out your budget and get the biggest boat you can afford . Also a lot boat are sold with minimum horse power to keep the cost down. Don’t fall into the trap of test driving a under powered boat thinking it be right as it won’t be . Most people with under power boats will reduce the weight as much as possible when youre test driving. After you purchase the boat you load 3 mates , 120l fuel and 2 big esky fuel of ice and beers the thing will struggle to plane.

Check the service history, most people that look after their boats will tell openly who they use as a service their boat and happy for you to ring the dealership to ask questions with their consent. Get a proper check if your not comfortable with motor.

Also have some money set aside to do complete service on the motor and trailer bearings as a minimum.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

thanks for the advice everyone. Will be going in to take a look at the boat later this week.