Low tide lock in at shoal bay

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Kanestinton13
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Low tide lock in at shoal bay

Post by Kanestinton13 »

Hi Guys

I've been reading posts on here for a while now and found some great information. So thought it was about time I joined and got more involved.

I recently went for my first trip out to shoal bay for a low tide lock in at king creek mouth. Started the morning with a hour or so trolling big lures at the mouth with a few other boats doing the same. About 20 mins in sure enough the boat next to us hooked up just as they were passing.... typically..... 93 I thing the lads said it went. Unfortunately after that the tide disappeared so did any fish. We walked and flick the banks and had a few lives out for nothing. A long wait for the tide to come back with only a few crabs for a feed.

I was wondering if any of you veterans could point me in the right direction for other areas to lock in maybe somewhere that holds a bit more water??? I dont expect anybody's go to spots just looking for an area where you could maybe move around in the boat a little more or even an area we could walk between some good holding holes???

I'm thinking of heading out this weekend after the neaps. The water should be as bit clearer then...

Thanks in advance for any information

tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Low tide lock in at shoal bay

Post by tristan.sloan »

G'day mate,

I generally look for creek junctions on deep bends, hole sin the front of rockbars. You generally don't need deep water for a lock in. A metre depth will hold fish as long as there is bait. It generally tends to be a feast or famine scenario.
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Google Shoal bays black book some tips on there
:cheers:
Kanestinton13
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Kanestinton13 »

Cheers guys
Yeah I've had a listen to shoal bays black books very handy tips. That's also the kind of approach I'd have to finding places. I was really wondering if there is a low tide hole that tends to be bigger than the rest giving you a bit more space to roam in?
I'll get out over the weekend and have a go. I'll let you know how I get on
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Welcome! I'll pm you a deadly spot to lock in
Kanestinton13
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Kanestinton13 »

Cheers mate appreciate it.
Kanestinton13
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Kanestinton13 »

So I've made the decision the head out Saturday arvo on the high tide. Will spend an hour or 2 checking out a few spots mentioned. Then make a decision where to stay for the night time low. Probably not the best time to learn/see or think about walking the sand banks but...
I've not long had a new addition to the family and the misses has told me to go Saturday night. I wont be told twice haha.
I'll be sure to let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good luck!
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

If your overnighting at Shoal bay you could do worse than hang around the Rock. There is deepish water all round and waaaaaaaaay less midges and mozzies.
Good luck
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!