Global warming

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Global warming

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, it gets tricky when they start tying in weather events.

I prefer just to look at the basics ... we are hitting 410ppm CO2, plus all the other AGW gases, with history showing what will happen under this scenario.

And global ice is trending down according to predictions.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Aussie emissions continue upward ... https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-in-doubt

It's like a perfect storm upon Nature, there will be no solution to this problem because of the inertia in the system.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Matt Flynn wrote:It's like a perfect storm upon Nature, there will be no solution to this problem because of the inertia in the system.
I agree, without a significant global population reduction I don't think a long term positive change is likely.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... re-mention

I agree with his outlook, this one is going to run its full course.

Our children's problem.

Meantime, self medication is the best strategy to deal with AGW.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I tell you what really amazes me is. If these researchers are that smart they can work out all these figures to the point they are matters of facts. Why can’t they simply come up with an easy fix. How any of this stuff actually be measured.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ice cover measurement is easy enough now, using satellites.

The are also measuring ice thickness too, and how old ice is.

Given current observations - and keeping in mind global warming was first predicted decades ago - it would be unlikely the science is wrong.

IMO there won't be any solution because people won't care until things are bad, and by then the momentum in the system will ensure it runs its course.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Thanks for putting this stuff up Mat and keeping thread updated these comments will always detonate with a loud bang when the media wagon first grasps a fresh one. I sort of agree with the part that very few people must care. Even in our small community look at how many of the members bother to comment on the sheafs of statistics and uncheckable numerical theories by absolute nobodies (or previous sombodies, Tim Flannery as a eg), on the pre melt size of an ice cube big enough to raise sea levels by 1 mm!! We’re on day to day life mode just surviving.
I am a bit tired of seeing that such a noise is made by so few and that even some countries economies are sliding into ruin on a premis that does not even seem to have widely popular support any more.
When the masses don’t jump on a particular bandwagon nowadays well it must be because “they don’t care”. The other glaring possibility is that these guys with the ever more incredible claims just aren’t believed any more.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It's a funny world AM, lot of problems with pollution etc, but a lot of people only just getting by, facing more immediate issues.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I heard the point well made this morning. Irrespective of your beliefs on the science. Let’s say it’s correct 100%. If the Western wourld is financially decimated in a world dominated by China Russia and India who have gone from strength to strength burning our coal and gas for power then what was the point of saving trying to save it. We still need to have and maintain the economy and life while the issue whatever it is addressed if it can be.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

MAKE AUSTRALIA GREAT AGAIN!!...
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

The Nero analogy would be appropriate if Nero was faced with a problem that he was actually capable of helping to sort out.

This particular Nero can't fix anything but he sure is an expert fiddler.

Firstly its NOT a man-made problem. While science can certainly identify changes by the obvious symptoms, that's a long long way short of identifying the cause.

Science was certainly quick to jump on the green bandwagon with its simplistic theories.

Greens embraced the scientists who they saw as useful to their cause. Scientists embraced the greens as a way of finally gaining apparent recognition for the role that they (scientists) felt was deserved but never really appreciated.

Along came Turnbull who was looking for a way to achieve something by himself in life. Remember the " my poor father was a just a struggling merchant banker" insight into Mal's deprived upbringing.

He attempted to gain access to the Labor/Green movement. When that didn't work, inheritance/money gave access to the Libs. What the Libs actually gained was bumbler in wolf's clothing.

The holy trinity was formed.

What a societal divisive mess the whole thing has turned into.

He gotta go ASAP along with the cabinet which has supported him.

Unscrabbling the egg is never an easy task but its goatta be done with the first thing being to dump the Paris agreement which has been the folly which has precipitated the mess followed by the "green" subsidies.

Science needs to start looking at the symptoms with a view of finding the real causes of climate change.

I suggest they start with the Milankovic cycles.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I hope it is Milankovic cycles Ron, but I suspect not.

The oil companies have acknowledged behind the scenes the fossil fuel CO2 problem, and science predicted it early last century, when the CO2 level was still low. US military has seen fit to produce strategic documents on its implications.

It is unfolding according to predictions, and that includes the extreme cold weather events that Trump likes to point out.

One thing is certain, given the state of politics, if it is not Milankovic cycles, or some other coincidental cause, the warming is going all the way. It is a fine example of a "wicked problem" as described in the current NTMAG :D

Given how badly humanity behaved during the previously 200 years of fairly stable climate and cheap energy, a period of more extreme weather and fossil fuel energy restrictions will be something to behold.

Momentum in the CO2 system means it will warm considerably more even if all traffic and heavy industry stopped today.

Hence the only real solution now is to drink more beer.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

With the change in obliquity (23.5 degrees and lessening as the earth's n/s axis straightens up), different parts of the earth are being exposed more to the sun and warming. Others are becoming less exposed and are therefore cooling.

Overall, the average earth temp isn't changing. Different parts of the earth are warming or changing.

If there's historically been ice in a region that's now being exposed more to the sun, then expect the ice to start melting. Ditto with places that historically have been warm. Less exposure to sun means lower temperature and effect is cooling.

Only parts of the earth are warming. Other parts are cooling.

Probably correct about the beer, Matt.

At least you have the advantage of not needing one of those energy guzzling refigerators to keep it cold.
Regards
Ronje