Plastic bag bulldust

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Plastic bag bulldust

Post by Matt Flynn »

Can't believe the plastic bag bull that is going on ... https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... 266a217303

The "reusable" heavy duty bags were introduced into Tasmania in 2013 and a glance at any Taz supermarket queue shows very few bring them back for reuse.

So now there will be heavier, longer lasting bags out there making rubbish. Bizarre!

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Plastic bag bulldust

Post by mickkk »

I don’t know how ligmate it is,but I heard that those reusable plastic bags need to be used 200 times to be as environmentally friendly as the single use plastic bags.
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

We've been using the foil inner type bags and the hemp lookalike material for some time now, i have 3 plastic woolies bags chockas full of random plastic bags and ice bags which i also keep in the boat to use and freeze frames as they are quite strong, local woolies here don't have a bag deposit YET! end of the day its about giving a poop even have stainless steel straws from Greenies they're great for the ice coffees and homemade smoothies
:cheers:
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

I'd like to think the "keep-cup" coffee cup my mate got me a while ago helps reduce my share of takeaway cups I used to use..:) plus, coffee stays hotter for longer, n its got a swivel-cap, so it can be sealed and not spill. Ha
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

All for them, we reuse all kinds of bags. The strong ones last until I use them for fish frames. The bag for good is great too
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Two weeks ago, the world was going to be a better place (our part of it anyway) because the supermarkets were now only using re-useable plastic bags and charging customers for them.

Only saw 1 person who said that the re-usable bags wouldn't be ok as they'd make the problem worse. That was Matt.

Greenies were as happy as pigs in the proverbial. No more environmental threats to bum-breathing turtles or silver tryzonclapeds.

This week, Coles says that they're still going to use the re-usable bags but instead of charging customers, they'll be giving them out free of charge.

And the bl..dy greenies are now hopping up and down again because the bags are free! Don't know what they want.

But Malcom and Bill both love 'em.
Regards
Ronje
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Forget the argument about Coles for a second. The big issue is single use plastics, it’s a huge waste and not very environmentally friendly. We all need to take responsibility for that. I don’t think it’s a big issue to find other alternatives for the single use plastics we use and throw out everyday.
Btw your not meant to buy the plastic bags at the counter, the price is meant to be a deterrent, your meant to bring your own. Most people in Darwin have cloth bags which you can buy almost anywhere and leave them in the car. Pretty simple thing to do.
I do find it a little strange that some people are so passionate about the management of the
marine environment for future generations but so loose in other aspects of environmental management.

It’s not a big deal, just a slight change in habits.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I'm all for hessian bags. My argument is that until supermarkets supply NO BAGS most people will continue to use whatever plastic ones are supplied as disposable items, whether they pay for them or not.

That is exactly what is happening in Tasmania, as an inspection of any supermarket queue shows.

There should be a law that supermarkets are not allowed to supply bags, except perhaps for $5 hessian bags. Yep, there would be an initial uproar, some short-term grief as people adapt, but people would finally start remembering to bring their own hessian bags, backpacks, or whatever.

The requirement of "absolute convenience" must change.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Matt Flynn wrote:I'm all for hessian bags. My argument is that until supermarkets supply NO BAGS most people will continue to use whatever plastic ones are supplied as disposable items, whether they pay for them or not.

That is exactly what is happening in Tasmania, as an inspection of any supermarket queue shows.

There should be a law that supermarkets are not allowed to supply bags, except perhaps for $5 hessian bags. Yep, there would be an initial uproar, some short-term grief as people adapt, but people would finally start remembering to bring their own hessian bags, backpacks, or whatever.

The requirement of "absolute convenience" must change.
Matt, I can’t find the like button?
----------------------------
-----------------------------
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Darwin Markets will have a Ban in the future on single use plastics i.e. cups, containers, cutlery. chuck your containers and fighting gear in a re-usable bag and be ready :mrgreen:
:cheers:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good news b-rad :mrgreen:

No like buttons here Ben Jam :D
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Coles said yesterday they were not going to charge anything for the new heavy duty bags,due to customer back lash.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

You know when you were a kid in high school, sitting in history class and you learn about something, and you think, how ever did that happen, how on earth did that seem like a good idea.
This is what is happening now.
Let’s ban plastic bags because 99% are used for the shopping, then taken home and people put their rubbish in themand put them in the bin.
To solve this problem, we will use bags 10 times as thick and take even longer to break down, and then also sell other plastic bags that people can line their bins in.
We use a lot of screws, they also take along time to break down, let “fix” it and make them out of stainless steel. People won’t loose them, as they are much the same size as pens, and no one ever looses them. Simply dig around in your handbag, give it a quick blow off, and bobs your uncle. You can just think of that old thickshake taste that come from last weeks thickshake as a bonus whilst you sip your Long Island ice tea.

I think the “war on waste” will only be fixed when we find clever ways to do something with our waste. Sweden in importing waste from other countries, getting paid $150 per ton as it has run out of waste to burn in their power planes that use rubbish as fuel.
We just need the scientists to work out how to capture the carbon off this and turn it into diamonds and then it’s problem solved..... apart from all the stainless steel straws on the ocean floor haha
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, wife was telling me about the high-temp incinerator they had in Germany, burns almost everything. Her late mum was so impressed by it she wrote to the Darwin council about it, and asked "why don't you have one?" :D

Must be a catch, probably cost and the number of people needed locally to make it feasible, surely Sydney/Melbourne have enough people to make it economical?