When do Barra come out their Winter Hibernation?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

When do Barra come out their Winter Hibernation?

Post by JJLure »

Just wondering when you guys up there start seriously targeting Barra after winter?. I know they shut down & hibernate over the winter period here in Rockhampton, which is why i pack my boat away in May and over the past decade Ive mostly started trying for them in Sept or Oct as the temps rise, or is it best to just wait till the season re-opens in Feb when they start to get interested in feeding again?

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: When do Barra come out their Winter Hibernation?

Post by theodosius »

Incoming water over harbour flats is warm. Warm surface water on billabongs gathers over shallow water at downwind banks. It also probably doesn't get as cold up here.

As for where the shady ladies go, I have no idea!!
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Caught barras at Awoonga and the river in July. They still eat all through the year, their metabolism is reduced when its colder. Incidentally barra have been caught on a lure out of water 15C in Awoonga when they had had a shocker of a cold winter maybe ten plus years ago.

Caught four and dropped one yesterday over here.

image of one from our lake caught in the month of June at about 2.30am and air temp of 13C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Dick
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Used to get them up the top of the Adelaide on cold misty dry season mornings.

Turn of the tide was the trick, even right up the top.
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

Thanks for those tips.
I'm thinking I might get the boat out and start trying in October. I know there is a fishing comp in the Fitzroy River & surrounds then and that usually shuts down any activity for several weeks afterwards, but by then its closed season anyway. But it will work out well as I'm heading to Brisbane in November to target my first ever King Threadfin Salmon.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

They don’t stop eating when it gets cold, they might just not feed as hard but fish still gotta eat. Like the other boys said keep persisting, same tactics as any other time, I try to work lures a lot slower during dry season. And focus on areas where’s there’s warmer water, bait and structure like you usually would. Went out to my mates block on the Adelaide river last weekend managed 5 all landbased on 3inch zmans worked slow and 95mm vibes. 3 of the fish were legal others were not. But same thing they had a bite window at a certain time. And we worked then hard when we worked out when they were feeding. If the lure was going too fast and not right on the bottom you weren’t in the game. Good luck mate
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Oh and here’s a 67 from corroboree weekend before, air temp was in mid teens that night
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

I'm still trying to get my first Barra to be honest. But it makes sense they still have to eat.