After some advice

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Bushy
Gold Member
Gold Member

After some advice

Post by Bushy »

G,day everyone im currently in the planning of a trip to king ash bay and am in the process of preparation of my 5m trailcraft and trailer for the trip. I know theres some dirt to travel on, about 25kms and have already made stone guards.
Are there any tips anyone can share for long trips, spares i should be taking for both trailer and boat. I am planning to head out to the islands and the road trip itself is long so want to make sure i have covered what i can to avoid a disaster.
Cheers Bushy

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: After some advice

Post by Matt Flynn »

That King Ash road is popular and should be well maintained, but it gets a lot of traffic so might get bumpy quickly after a grade - 25km isn't a lot of road though.

When roads are bad it's the springs, spring u-bolts and nuts that usually fail. I've had towball nuts work loose on the drawbar, and two broken winch cables, all from corrugations.

Be careful with your boat tiedowns, they will chafe and can damage a light alloy boat if too tight.

Don't leave anything heavy in the boat and make sure all rollers/hull supports are well adjusted and tight.

Outboard leg must be well supported, the rubber in the fork can split and allow metal to metal, it is good to throw a bit of tough carpet in the fork and then tie the leg in hard to eliminate movement.
feeds
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by feeds »

That section of dirt at King Ash Bay is really not that bad.

Just slow down and take your time. Most problems arise when people get impatient and travel to fast.

Cheers,

Feeds
Bushy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bushy »

Some good advice Matt thankyou, will check my trailer springs and prob will take spare u bolts and nuts i think.
My 75hp honda just has the motor supports which flick down when motor tilted up, i have been told to get hold of some ram supports does any one use these.

Feeds think your also right on the money budddy to, simply slowing down driving to the conditions.
While im sort of on the topic what speed would you go towing a boat say on rutted road, i prob would be like an old hermit crab.
Rig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rig »

I just use a piece of timber instead of flick down the engine supports
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

My 75hp honda just has the motor supports which flick down when motor tilted up, i have been told to get hold of some ram supports does any one use these.

To take a lot of weight off your transom you need a support coming off the trailer
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Spare bearings, bung and stubby holder
fridgie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by fridgie »

Check your trailer bearings,tyre pressures and speed you want to travel at on corrugations especially if there not light truck.must for me trolley jack rattle gun and impact sockets,pre packed spare bearings.beer for the stubby holder
Bushy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bushy »

Rig wrote:I just use a piece of timber instead of flick down the engine supports
Great simple idea, i guess the weight of the motor holds it in place ok.
Will have to look into the motor supports also , might have to talk to my outboard mechanic when it goes in for a service soon about these.
All great tips everyone thankyou.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

The Carpentaria & Tableland Highways will give you more grief than Batten Rd.

As Matt said keep the weight out of the boat when traveling and only tie in the bulk, light stuff leaving the load up till after launch as you will easily bust a roller and crack the hull over time.

I've never used them flick over tabs only the rubber dick and don't tilt too much pressure on them.

Pic shows how I travel over any long distance but you can't see the steering rubber locks that push on to both sides of the steering ram that you cut yourself to size to help keep the motor central.

I forget old mates name at the King Ash Bay Servo but he sure can fix a lot of stuff and has a lot of spares.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bushy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bushy »

Thanks NinjaFish, looks like yoy got a honda aswell. What hp is that motor.
Looked on ebay and seen some different type of ram stops for outboard so might have to get something that will suit my outboard.
Do you still use the trailer to outboard motor leg support with these ram blocks etc.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Took a pic of the rubbers for the steering ram when cleaning the boat today. - 135 Honda.

Pretty sure the local rubber shop has them or any good marine dealer. Just buy a foot of and cut to your size for both sides with the engine dead centre.

I still tie (choke) the leg with rope with the steer ram rubbers and the engine ram (tilt) donger to make sure nothing moves.

Enough rough road will make most seals start leaking too! Main thing is to stop your outboard flapping around as much as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bushy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bushy »

Good pics and info NinjaFish, will have to find some of that rubber next time im in town.
Would that stuff work for the tilt trim also.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

yamaha 115hp motor support 008.JPG
Bushy i use the same supports Ninja and find they work very well . Got mine from In & out board marine . Just check which ram you use them on , the yammie has a grease nipple on one side and can snap off I think some Hondas as well .
yamaha 115hp motor support 001.JPG
yamaha 115hp motor support 004.JPG
yamaha 115hp motor support 006.JPG
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Ninja those stoppers look good, my motor tends to flop about a bit on dirt roads. I'll be making a set!