Shady Camp Road Fix

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Shady Camp Road Fix

Post by FITZY »

The Govt has just released a tender to fix the damaged part of Shady camp road but no bitumen just to dig it out and replace with more rock and raise it higher.

What a waste of money and the NT GOVT doing a half arse job as per usual

The reason the road got chewed up in the first place was the cattle stations were bringing out cattle when the road weight limit was for 1 tonne vehicles only and they made a blood y mess of it . They should make them repair the damage

shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp Road Fix

Post by shaggs »

Shady camp is actually on the station and the road use to be maintained by the station same as Corroboree
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Johnno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Johnno »

You blokes actually haven’t got a clue have ya. You complain about a road you use just to go fishing. The people who live along or at the end of that road need it to survive. Imagine if your income was stopped completely because you couldn’t get to work along the roads. The station owners actually had permits to cart the animals out along Point Stuart Road, paid money from their own pocket before they started carting to have rock bought in to the trouble areas so everybody had access and used smaller trucks than they had to in order to protect the road. Funny how the road through Melaleuca to swim creek station (which the trailer boats don’t use by the way) was still passable after the animals were trucked out but the part of the road used by all and sundry was not. Have a bit of compassion guys
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good to hear both sides.

Careful what you wish for, as more bitumen means more boats.

They are rolling out the bitumen up Cape York Peninsula in FNQ, that will change things forever.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Well said Johhno
mafoo25
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mafoo25 »

Spot on Johnno!
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Bugger Shady camp road, fix Dorat road. Or better still punch Daly river road straight east out onto the stuart highway. Shady camp road is in better condition than Dorat road 3/4 of the year, and 3000 people live down there, not to mention all the boats that use the Daly.
Doubz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Doubz »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Yep totally agree with the Wombat on Dorat Road, worst "Bitumen" road in the southern hemisphere that one. it would be better if it was dirt at least they could grade it :lol: :rofl:
Big Col
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Col »

shaggs wrote:Shady camp is actually on the station and the road use to be maintained by the station same as Corroboree
Hey mate,
Shady Camp is not on station land, the road to shady is a public road and the launch/camping area is Parks & wildlife, it may used to have been on the station however not for a while now.
NT Wombat wrote:Bugger Shady camp road, fix Dorat road. Or better still punch Daly river road straight east out onto the stuart highway. Shady camp road is in better condition than Dorat road 3/4 of the year, and 3000 people live down there, not to mention all the boats that use the Daly.
Totally agree!
Johnno wrote:You blokes actually haven’t got a clue have ya. You complain about a road you use just to go fishing. The people who live along or at the end of that road need it to survive. Imagine if your income was stopped completely because you couldn’t get to work along the roads. The station owners actually had permits to cart the animals out along Point Stuart Road, paid money from their own pocket before they started carting to have rock bought in to the trouble areas so everybody had access and used smaller trucks than they had to in order to protect the road. Funny how the road through Melaleuca to swim creek station (which the trailer boats don’t use by the way) was still passable after the animals were trucked out but the part of the road used by all and sundry was not. Have a bit of compassion guys
Hi mate,
I think what irks me the most about this whole situation is the fact that no compassion is shown to anyone else. Yes the station should have been able to truck their cattle no argument there, however when was the last time a exemption was given to a FTO or even just a rec fisherman to cross a road that has restrictions or was closed? I was stuck the other side of cahills a few years ago the east came up and I could not drive my cruiser acrossI waited for nearly 3 weeks before deciding to leave my car there. I approached authorities to see if I could get a low loader (Had a mate with civil gear working in Jabiru at the time) to transport my car and boat across as the crossing was only at 650mm however was advised that they would not open it for me and that if I did cross I would be fined $1000 per axel (It was around this figure). I was at shady a couple of years ago and had to go the long way round on the way back as the Adelaide river floodplain was closed as the water was at 400, in a cruiser 400 is nothing however it took me 13 extra hours and heaps of extra fuel to get home again hurting my back pocket again as there was no compassion. Down the Daly every year the road opens 2-3 weeks earlier under permit for local residents, what about the tourist parks along Woolianna road they cant open as no one is allowed to drive on the road but locals, this is affecting them financially where is the compassion for them? In my eyes if the road is capable of being driven on by anyone then it should be open for all as everyone relies on the roads up here. Yes people will argue that this will lead to more road damage however we are already at that stage but only if you are in a specific industry. Maybe opening up the roads would lead to the government not accepting sub par repairs for these roads. There in no way a road should be chewed up to the point of being impassible within a year or so of being fixed! (I'm sick and tired of band aid solutions)

Cheers Big Col
:drinking1:
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I cant believe there hasn't been a head on on Dorat road yet, blokes with $100k boat and Caravans don't like putting wheels in the gravel and I cant blame them. Most of the time when i'm coming back from down that way i'm not towing anything and generally move right off the bitumen to let boats and vans past. The amount of 19m + trucks who use that road at night when they know no-one is looking is unreal as well.