Reefie Carnage - tips on preventing it and cleanup?

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Reefie Carnage - tips on preventing it and cleanup?

Post by deepblack »

Hi all,
I figured I would put this up as an opportunity for others to share their tips on how to minimise the carnage from bait fishing for reefies, the only way I know is to try and keep on top of it with either a deckwash or a sponge and a bucket of water but lately I've started thinking of other things I can do like having a dedicated kill tank at the transom and cutting bulk amounts of bait at one time to minimise the gunge that accumulates. Anyway, what other tips do people have for keeping their boat tidy to minimise on the cleaning at the end of the day?

North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Reefie Carnage - tips on preventing it and cleanup?

Post by Fruity »

Get a heap of Microfibre cloths from super cheap, Ebay. Them every one gets one to wipe squid ink,slime as they go,
Then another one to dip in the melted ice in the esky and cool down.
When you get home, use them to wash the boat and bung in washing machine ready for next trip.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Use jigs :p nah we try and only use what we need at the time and keep rest of bait on ice so doesn’t go all juicy and runny. Alternatively a boilermaker mate of mine has started making bait boards that hook onto railing on gunwhales and the actual board overhangs the water so any spillage occurs in water not boat. I will try and dig some pics up
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

I use the plastic removeable part out of a cheap plastic tool box and it clips straight over the rails on the side of the boat and has 2 compartment each side and also has a carry handle . It stops everyone walking back and forth dropping bits on bait on the carpet.

I cant figure out how to add a picture
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

1.My bait board has a hose that drains down to the berley bucket , also a removable poly chop board
2.Squid bait is divided into smaller clip seal bags (4/6 per bag) only have 1 out as needed .
3.Make sure the deckie knows how to use a cleaning rags :P
4.Small squirty bottle with a few drops dishwash liquid helps for any dried blood around the boat
5.I have a deck wash and checker plate floor so the clean down between moves is easy .
6.Also have a floor kill tank but prefer to use a 20lt bucket to bleed fish before putting on ice
7.When filleting the catch I have old beach Towels cut in halve to lay on the bait board , after each fish clean over the side , squeeze and re-use.Helps stop the fish slipping around .

Always hard to keep it perfect but I find it easy to clean as you go ,and make sure the deckie knows how anal I get about a clean boat :evil: :evil: :evil:
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Problem solved boys, Use jigs and lures, not smelly bait in my boat
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Gibbsy wrote:Use jigs :p nah we try and only use what we need at the time and keep rest of bait on ice so doesn’t go all juicy and runny. Alternatively a boilermaker mate of mine has started making bait boards that hook onto railing on gunwhales and the actual board overhangs the water so any spillage occurs in water not boat. I will try and dig some pics up
Gibbsy,
If you could that would be great, a clip on bait/stubbie holder combo would be the goods.
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Great tips shared i even have a small bucket for when nature calls better than nearly goin over or splashin the deck
:cheers:
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

This is what I was talking about . The insert clips tight onto the side rail

tool box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I own a FISHING boat so don't give a toss about any of the above ...... :twisted:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:lolpoint:
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

deepblack wrote:
Gibbsy wrote:Use jigs :p nah we try and only use what we need at the time and keep rest of bait on ice so doesn’t go all juicy and runny. Alternatively a boilermaker mate of mine has started making bait boards that hook onto railing on gunwhales and the actual board overhangs the water so any spillage occurs in water not boat. I will try and dig some pics up
Gibbsy,
If you could that would be great, a clip on bait/stubbie holder combo would be the goods.
Here you deepblack photos were on my old phone but my mate sent some pics through, this was the first one he made for his Formosa

Gibbsy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Thanks Gibbsy, given me an idea on how to do something similar for my rig, one of the other things that annoys me on my boat is that I some how always end up the bait bit#% with the good old "can you hand me another piece of bait".
Cheers,
John.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I used to be the bait b^*!?h too :|

Leave me alone when I'm tying knots in a swell :evil:

Got a little galv Corona bucket from the bottlo a while back and ready cut bait goes in there and gets passed to the front straight up where they can do what they want with the bucket and Bait :fu:
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

I just tell the boys we are lure fishing and if they want to bait fish they cut it up and get it themselves oh and if they do bait fish leave the baitboard near them got a small plastic one I sit on esky