Americans running mono line

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Americans running mono line

Post by theodosius »

Anyone know the answer to why so many american baitcaster fishermen run mono line? Got me stumped! Pros and amateurs alike

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Americans running mono line

Post by Matt Flynn »

Stretch is the only thing I can imagine, maybe low viz
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Fished in the states a few times.

Low viz for the Bass

Have a NZ guide mate that does 3 months a year in US. Fresh water is all mostly mono saltwater braid
Bass are finicky and often lakes are floogged to death with fishing compared to Aus.
Fish are heaps smaller too so these guys use 8-10lb that is pretty thin
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

I taunt my relos in Louisiana it’s because they can’t tie FGs.....

But what Standy said.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers, knew there had to be a reason.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I think its more to do with the increasing use of micro-guides over there.

With very small diam eyes, tying leader/braid knots simply isn't practical. Knots (no matter how well tied and small) jam in guides (especially in microguides).

So they run no knot rigs.

Being basically locked into no knots, they simply run all mono right through.

Mostly though, the mono is actually fluro carbon right through in various colours attempting to match the refractive index of the water in which they're fishing on that day (the RI changes quickly and often).

Even the slightest "edge" helps.

They are serious fishermen around the tournament scene (I've seen 50,000 people turn up to a bass tournament weigh-in in Chicago) AND most copy what the pros do.

I've had a couple of Carrot Stick rods for about 10 years. They came with micro-guides which I immediately replaced with recoil guides.
Regards
Ronje
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I used to fish a lot for trout/redfin/yellow belly around Bathurst in NSW, Trout over winter/spring/Autumn, redfin and yellow belly once things warmed up. I used the same 1000 sized reel for everything, had a spool of 4lb mono for trout, and a spool of 10lb fireline for redfin and yellowbelly. The trout wouldn't touch anything I threw at them using the fireline, not even with a leader of 4lb mono so I'd swap out the spool of braid for mono when targeting trout. The braid was a lot better for fishing hardbodies and reefing redfin and yellow belly out of sticks and they'd bite fine with a 1 meter leader of 10lb mono.

Light mono is hard to beat for super fussy fish.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I still have a tobacco tin of my old trout lure and it's nothing but perch and brown trout colored CD 3's, #1 Black and Copper celtas, #2 Red and Gold Celtas, and #1 Yellow Woodens Rooster tails. I found most days you would catch fish on the Celtas and CD3's, on the days they wouldn't eat them for some reason they'd smash the rooster tails. I would imagine fluro carbon leaves mono for dead, it wasn't readily available back when I fished for trout (90's). I found the best line was the brown Platyl Steam line from Woolies of all things, near invisible in the water i was fishing and soft and supple. The old fireline used to chaffe fast and ended up standing out like dogs Balls. I was only fishing small, sometimes tiny rivers and creeks for small, sometimes tiny trout. One of my favorite creeks was about a foot wide and 20cm deep with just the odd pool maybe the size of a bath tub and 50cm deep, you had to be accurate just to land your lure in the water. I pulled a few 3-4 Lb browns out of that creek on the #1 Celtas.