Borroloola water polluted with lead

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Borroloola water polluted with lead

Post by Matt Flynn »

Redirecting a river to mine lead, that's a helluva thing ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-20/b ... on/9677638

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Borroloola water polluted with lead

Post by ronje »

How would anybody like to live in a community where the water (one of life's essentials) was suspect irrespective of the reason.

Looks like a water tanker has been organised as a temporary measure. I guess it depends on how many in the communities are affected as to the adequacy even as a temporary measure.

Very worrying for those affected.

Seeing that the mine is upstream AND its mining lead, there's always going to be risk associated with the activity.
Regards
Ronje
Kadango
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kadango »

An interesting perspective that seems to have labeled the villain without proof - and throws in a by line right at the end that it is probably coming from the reticulation system........

"In a statement, the Department of Health said PWC was undertaking an investigation to determine the cause, but advised the water bore itself did not contain elevated levels of lead and manganese.

It said sampling and testing of water from the reticulation system was being expedited."

Reminds me of a story a few years back of a community just north of there with elevated lead levels found in the kids - until they worked out that one of the main proteins in their diet was Magpie Goose, and was being taken with lead shot.............

Perhaps facts should be checked before accusations leveled - another fine example of NT journalism.
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Perhaps facts should be checked before accusations leveled - another fine example of NT journalism.

If your comments are correct it sounds like a very poor example of NT reticulation, adding lead and manganese.

Lead has been found in cattle around the mine, so not sure that the mine is off the hook in terms of local impact.

And there were burning piles of waste acid rock not so long ago ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Company says its discharge is good ... http://www.kingashbay.com.au/wordpress/ ... Page-2.pdf
Kadango
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kadango »

And agreed by the Independent Monitor that is appointed by the NT Government
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I guess its a sign of the times that as soon as a problem is found (irrespective of what it is), there is immediate distrust of any investigators' integrity.

Society paying the price for excessive past government and corporate friendliness.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

No, I trust them. Might have worded the post poorly.

How'd the lead get in the cattle though?

Good to know re independent advice, don't want to be breaking a tooth on a barra fillet.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

No, I trust them. Might have worded the post poorly.

I don't trust 'em.

Maybe went through too many "independent reviews" with Joh Bjelke-Petersen
Regards
Ronje
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Is there a 2018 report yet?