Trump

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Trump

Post by ronje »

Thanks for that info Acsle and Dannett. Its a lot to digest let alone draw conclusions from for me.

Whether you call it offensive use or defensive use in counting incidents, there is the basic fact that if you have lots of guns and lots of people then you are going to have lots of incidents.

Its not the types of incidents that matter. Its the number of incidents.

US people believe that they have a constitutional right to bear arms. Whether that belief is accurate or not doesn't matter. They believe it.

The US has a major domestic problem with guns.

To effectively address that problem s firstly requires the US Govt to turn off the "supply tap" of weapons before it can start mopping up the mess.

Will that tap be turned off? No, it wont as it'll almost certainly lead to another civil war in the US.

Wife and I used to visit the US. Loved the different places we went to. LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, New Orleans, San Diego plus down into Mexico.

With each visit, we became increasingly aware of the number of personal weapons around in public places. In places that didn't have "open carry", some people used to arrange their clothing to show that they carried a weapon even if you couldn't see it. After a while it became increasingly obvious what to look for. I used to concentrate more on that than the reason for our visit.

With the increase in terrorism incidents from Sept 1991, it became riskier to travel to SE Asia and/or Europe.

However, I still considered that I was more likely to be involved in a lower level incident in the US (a one-on-one or collateral injury/death from a one-on-one if you like) than being caught up in a major terrorist incident in another part of the world. Cutta or Paris, London etc as examples. And the reason was simply the numbers of weapons on the streets that you could see just moving around in the US.

So we don't go anywhere o/seas now. Only 3rd world places we'll visit now are Tasmania or NZ.

Nothing is going to change in the US in respect of gun ownership and use. There'll be more nutters and mass shootings and all the authorities can do is try to manage the risk because its too late to get to the root cause of the problem (the number of weapons already in the community and the inability to stop the availability).

As long as they all stay over there.

Regards
Ronje
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

So if drug dealer “A” approaches drug dealer “B” with the intent to rob "B" and pulls a gun, then “B” shoots “A” I assume that is classified as a ‘defensive use’
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Probably one of each therefore 2 incidents for statistical purposes.

In the end, does it matter what they're classed as?

Titanic hit an iceberg in 1912. Does it really matter if it was a type 1, 2, 3 iceberg? Or a blue or white iceberg?

The lesson is that icebergs are dangerous.
Regards
Ronje
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Acsle »

nomad wrote:So if drug dealer “A” approaches drug dealer “B” with the intent to rob "B" and pulls a gun, then “B” shoots “A” I assume that is classified as a ‘defensive use’
You would be correct in saying that. It's still a defensive use, give one was trying to rob the other. You didn't say they were doing a drug deal either you just said they're drug dealers. The only person committing the crime in this situation is the one trying to steal from the other, (and rightfully so) the other person has used a gun to defend themselves.
ronje wrote:US people believe that they have a constitutional right to bear arms. Whether that belief is accurate or not doesn't matter. They believe it.
Should point out that it's a legal right to, and is recognised by the Supreme Court of the United States. Nearly every interpretation of the 2nd Amendment suggests this notion. I'd say it's a fairly accurate belief.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Trump's EPA chief is quite a guy ... https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... h#comments
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Should point out that it's a legal right to, and is recognised by the Supreme Court of the United States. Nearly every interpretation of the 2nd Amendment suggests this notion. I'd say it's a fairly accurate belief.

The US Supreme Court narrowly held (by a 5-4 majority) that view. So it wasn't (and still isn't) a universal view. Such a result shows that even the Supreme Court has difficulty arriving at a convincing consensus.

I don't agree that "nearly every interpretation suggests the notion". There are plenty of interpretations which don't.

Article 5 of the US Constitution provides for amendment. A difficult process but it can be done if the people desire it.

Probaly too late now to attempt the exercise in respect of arms considering the practical difficulties in enforcing such a decision. Plenty hold the view that the Supreme Court could not have found any other way on practical grounds.

On the up-side, National Guard recruitment numbers might have benefited.
Regards
Ronje
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

All the Trump Haters are deafening quiet.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Thankfully Trump says we don't have to worry about global warming, or I'd worry about stories like this ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... cc7666efbc

And this ... https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/07/asia ... index.html
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Well the American buffoon is at it again.

This time he's upsetting the local US financial system.

It started off as "fake news" (anything that wasn't pro-Trump).

He was given reasonable marks (as he should have been) for international relations. US locally loved him though the same couldn't be said universally.

Of more recent times, he's pulled on a trade war with China. US will obviously win but the losers are the US domestic people hard hit immediately by increased tariffs on their imports. Also high tariffs on their exports to China. That's a great move, Chief. We'll show those chinks a thing to two not to meddle with us while we're making the US great again.

That's US consumers PLUS US businesses affected adversely. Also serious effects on economic confidence on international markets.

What about this wall? We had a previous US president (Raegan) telling the russians " Tear down this wall!" The Berlin Wall and it was torn down. Walls aren't any good.

Now we have a US president wanting to build a much bigger one! For the very reasons that the russians did in the 50s and which was so bad! Go figure.

And we've also had the head of the Federal reserve bank in trouble with the Donald for the FRB enconomic policy. They've put up interest rates in 2018 (3 times maybe 4?) and indicated a slowing of those rises in 2019.

The buffoon's response? Increases in interest rates won't make the US great again! The head of the FRB has to go now (Jerome Powell----- because he's not doing what the buffoon wants).

And that pesky Congess. Won't pass his finance bills to pay (initially) for his wall.

Well, Congress, its my wall or nothing. I'll close down Govt. That'll surely make the US great again too.

The NYSE and the Chigago Nasdaq is shaking it's head trying to work out what's going on. In the meantime, they're ducking for cover with the Dow index in a swoon not seen since the global financial crisis. US investors are deserting the stock market in droves. And rightly so.

But the buffoon is sure making the US great again.

The Aus economy is in enough of a confidence crisis of its own without having a slow down in the Chinese economy brought about by the buffoon's trade war.

But putting all that aside, the buffoon is doing a great job. His staff would tell you but there's only few left. Long service in the White House is classed as 3 months or less these days.

WE think the US is silly while we've got Malcom Turncoat alive and kicking with Morrison and all of Malcom's old supporters. They ALL thought Malcom was wonderful until convenient and THEY'RE still there. Nothing's changed.

As Malcom Fraser said. Put your money under the bed.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Losing his marbles, or maybe never had the full set ... https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 011c43e9b5