Daly Mouth Easter Trip 2018

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Daly Mouth Easter Trip 2018

Post by theodosius »

Tommy22222 and I did a trip down the Daly on Sunday, leaving Palmerston at 230AM. We were at the ramp and on the water by sunrise, flicking a coastal creek by about 8.

The tide was dropping fast and the other boats left as the popeye mullet jumped around nervously. Mick got a little barra then my fizzer got smashed by a nice barra. A quick photo and then necked and in the esky. Another cast was boofed and missed twice then we got out in 60cm of water.

It was nice and calm as we rounded the red cliffs and headed up a bigger creek and snuck up the channel. We came to a fork that looked red hot, with boofing in the snags downstream. It looked awesome but we got absolutely nothing. It was stinking hot up there so we headed back to the mouth for some breeze. We got a couple of rat barra then I dusted off my thrownet skills and got some livies to soak over lunch. It was tough to get mullet as all the fish in the net were baby barra. A few mullet were crushed by crabs and a few were taken by sharks. Mick got a small barra and the other boat in the creek trolled up a couple just as the first push in started. We trolled up and down looking for a big girl with no luck, so off we went to the next creek.

This one had plenty of popeyes and a bit of boofing. Within a couple of minutes the first barra was in the boat. I then pulled in a 75 and we got about a dozen fish. As the day got late we headed to a bigger creek for the night. After a spag bol cook-up we were stuffed and fell asleep.

The mozzies were friendly and as the tide dropped the barra were boofing all around. Mick strolled up a barra and had a few more hits. My line was having no luck, and I was too tired to wind it in to check. Next morning at daybreak I pulled it in to see what the problem was (usually guaranteed a fish with this method). In the dim light I could see something white on my lure and as it got closer I realised it was my mates toilet paper. Gross.

We hit another little creek for a few more barra to 63cm then had a flick around the red cliffs. We saw a couple of barra but only caught a powertail. The sea was gloriously flat, so we flew up the mouth to one of my favourite runoff creeks. Levels were super low and we only got a few rats. I also jumped out on the bank for a flick and was quickly up to the goolies in very soft mud. We also stopped at Lizzie for a flick, only one other boat there and the pulled in a nice fish. We snagged up and lost the lure retriever trying to get it back and then decided that it was probably about time to leave. We got back to Palmy with a bit of sunlight to clean the boat and all the fish.

Cheers Tommy for a great trip!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly Mouth Easter Trip 2018

Post by Lats »

Sounds like a great time. Strolling can be poop at times lol
Shrek16
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Shrek16 »

Awesome write up Theo!!
tight lines
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

good trip mate, you must have cast your lure into a really sh*t spot before you went to bed :lol:
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Well done fellas

Gotta be in it to win it!

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
bodge007
Silver Member