Diving

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Diving

Post by max »

While waiting to put in at n/cliff yest.I seen Rick Tripp there heading out in a little tinny to dive the bottle washer the silly pr-ck was giong alone oh not hang on he had his dog with him and said the few days before he had speared a good jewie there and all of a sudden it was gone only to notice a big hamerhead flying by but that was ok as he mamaged to get anothe one I half expected to get back to the ramp in the arvo and see his car still there (I would have been worried for his dog).I think the bloke knows what he is about though I hear he was Aust. champ. diver years back but one day maybe shark sh-t as a tiger will chomp him.

dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

diving

Post by dodgyone »

I had a go there last dry. Not as fit as I used to be. Rick Trippe the Darwin Dolphin is a legend. :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Skin Diving

Post by jasonmcc »

You dont hear much about Spear Fishing. My Dad was Northern Territory Champion years ago. Seen some photos of some awesome fish he's speared. Ho deep is it at the bottle washer?

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

yep Rick gained legend status for spearing around the wharfs years ago. He was our guru back then when me and my mischievous mates were into spearfishing. :bow:

Tim Proctor from the old PADI dive centre at Fannie Shops held a Junior Spearfishing comp in 1985 to get us off the streets. Guess what...I won it by one fish!!! :cool: , a 5kg rock cod speared at the wreck of the old SS Brisbane on Fish Reef. There was 20 of us and we spooked the place out on the first day so it was a matter of finding the resident fish umoungst the wreck and letting them have it straight between the eyes! :hunting:

Still have the trophy at home, mind you I couldn’t hold my breath for 30 seconds in a bathtub these days! :wink:

ps I discovered spearfishing after my skateboard when off the Mandorah wharf. Stuck on a mask and went for a dip to find it, couldnt beleive the fish life under there that we coulnd never temp with bait. :|
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Yes Rick Tripp was actually once the Aussie free dive champion and yes he has some Big Kahunas if you ask me free diving around Stokes Hill and Darwin wrecks, he told me once that he watched some young fellas land a 3mtr shark at Mandorah, he was sitting on the bottom watching the whole thing..!!.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Didn't he also gain some notoriaty for spearing a very large gropper under the stokes hill wharf about 10-12 years ago... I seem to remember a lot of unhappy people around that thought spearing a fish estimated to be over 100kg was not the right thing to do. (I was one of them) :evil:

Barra Beast... your miss spent youth has some dark secrets man..... just remember that the brother-in-law use to spear fish with you too :o I might be able to black-mail you into a fishing trip with what he could tell me :lipsrsealed: :rofl: :rofl:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
G Banger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by G Banger »

Good thing about spearing up here is that you can get a very good feed without any problems.

A couple of mates and I decided to get in the water this time last year and got Coral Trout / Blue Bone off Emery Point and had a killer session off the top of North Peron Island with Macks / Trout / Goldies / Triple Tail.

The Vernons are good for spearing this time of year aswell altough the pot belly Bronzies make it interesting at times.

Oh and there are Crays in this here harbour of ours!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Good going and snorkelling too you must be pretty fit,oh them were the days.