Awoonga dam spills over

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Awoonga dam spills over

Post by Matt Flynn »

Will be a few big fish around Gladstone ... https://www.facebook.com/10001083862326 ... 082011775/

Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Awoonga dam spills over

Post by Edo »

Boyne River will be a good place to fish over the next few months if the big fish survive.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, interesting history though on escapes, have a look up what happened in the last big flood, there were wway too many fish and it overloaded the system, lots of dead and diseased fish.

I'd be interested to know if those Awoonga horses kept showing up in the salt two or three years later of if they just melted back to normal background levels.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

I think they get pretty busted up going over the wall, my mates fish it a fair bit and they say the survival rate isn't high. I think they had some red spot disease last time if i remember correctly?.
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

All those big boys going over the wall. I hope they get to find a girl Barra to breed with once in the salt.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Got some interesting tag data of Awoonga fish that started going over the wall in 2011 when it first filled.

At that time, the Gladstone Area Water Board made some estimates about how many went over.

Later tag data suggests about 5 times GAWBs estimate. I've still got all of that data if anybody wants to see it.

Most of those that weren't caght up in the netting frenzy did indeed go south where it appears that some of those set up (or replenished) breeding stocks around Bundaberg and Hervey Bay. Marybourough/Mary river estuary has some adequate estuary for spawning etc. The Mary estuary now provides barra that travel further south to the Brisbane River.

Have heard of recruits around Sunshine Coast/Noosa but no evidence yet to show that breeding populations have been established there.

Interestingly, what GAWB and others were wringing their hands about (loss of Awoonga barra), has now been discarded from their thinking.

Have heard that GAWB are now saying loss over the wall in times of flood was what they were aiming for all along. That they knew and intended that to happen for wild conservation purposes. I think there's a bit of retro-policy making going on at GAWB at the moment.

Have also heard that there are thoughts of doing head counts of barra in Awoonga for stock purposes.

GAWB is the principal breeder of Fitzroy strain barramundi so the number of places where fingerlings can be released is limited to the previous natural habitat. Not sure if that extended to Brisbane River or not.

Currently, impoundments stocked with southern strain (only strain allowed) are Wuruma, Paradise, Lenthalls, Monduran, Callide, Emerald, Clermont (Theresa Ck dam), Awoonga and upstream Fitzroy R. May be more than that but limited to river systems of Burnett, Burrum, Boyne, Fitzroy. I don't know if barra have been stocked in dams on the Mary R but as Mary always had resident barra I can't see why it hasn't been.

Don't know what strain is stocked in the dams around Mackay and Proserpine but I suspect its the next barra strain north (not the Fitzroy strain).
Regards
Ronje
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

I wish they would swim north, silly things, as it would be good to get a few Barra around Rocky & Yeppoon occasionally.

But that's really interesting ronje, I was involved in the Proserpine Whitsunday fish stocking group way back in the 90s and the Barra we were stocking into Peter Faust dam were referred to as Southern Strain.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

The strain for the Mackay dams is Central east Coast (Repulse Bay to Shoalwater). But you already knew that.

A few dams were stocked with "anything goes" for while in the late 80s. 83,000 murray cod were put into the Emerald Dam in 1988 by the miners.

Not enough takers on the other thread for a stir?
Regards
Ronje
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

I sense hostility, have I done something wrong?
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

You sense scepticism about your authenticity.

You're overplaying the dumb routine.
Regards
Ronje
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

Really? lol.
I'll disregard those comments.

edit:

No, I'd like to know which of my comments above would be considered part of this "dumb routine" you speak of?
I'd like the opportunity to respond.