A YEAR ON

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

A YEAR ON

Post by ponyplay »

Been just over a year since last post about Lake Kununurra and its progress as a fishery , after a record wet in 2017 the fishing in the lake has been challenging at times and rewarding to for those that put the time in. Fish tagging and a competition where held during the year to help record fish growth , numbers, migration, etc . The free entry competition was a success in advertising and getting a lot families interested in fishing the lake, which is very family friendly environment and trying to promote a fledging fishery. The average fish atm seems to be around high 80s low 90s with other mixed in , oct nov produced few bigger fish in the year. The fish threw ought the year seemed to show strong preference for natural coloured lures and large plastics , perhaps sum thing to do with the super clean water and large population of boney bream. The stocking group is in the process of pushing for more funding for more fingerlings this year , all goes well it will happen . Few pics of wat was on offer over last year cheers curt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: A YEAR ON

Post by NBN »

Thx Pony, special backyard you've got there!

Any updated info on grow rates?
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Hi Mate :mrgreen:

Outstanding pics and post good to hear from you again , Barra and bush fire pic needs to go straight to the pool room . :applause:

Hope the stocking gets the funding , Great job & well done by all involved .

:drinking8:
Jeff
CJ87
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CJ87 »

Good pics Curt.

Its a bl..dy awesome fishery when you get them to eat. Definitely been a bit trickery to get them to eat in the last 12 months then the year before.

How'd you go up the there on Monday arvo? We pasted you around spillway creek after hitting Herbys for a swim with the inlaws. I haven't fished it since Christmas really keen to have a crack again.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

CJ87 wrote:Good pics Curt.

Its a bl..dy awesome fishery when you get them to eat. Definitely been a bit trickery to get them to eat in the last 12 months then the year before.

How'd you go up the there on Monday arvo? We pasted you around spillway creek after hitting Herbys for a swim with the inlaws. I haven't fished it since Christmas really keen to have a crack again.
hi mate , got couple right on sunset 750 /850 you in the big plate boat was couple boats around for Monday evening.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

jeffish wrote:Hi Mate :mrgreen:

Outstanding pics and post good to hear from you again , Barra and bush fire pic needs to go straight to the pool room . :applause:

Hope the stocking gets the funding , Great job & well done by all involved .

:drinking8:
Jeff
hi jeff , yer bit favourite the bushfire and barra shot was memorable evening night fishing with the fires in the gorge . hope ya going well :mrgreen:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

NBN wrote:Thx Pony, special backyard you've got there!

Any updated info on grow rates?
hi mate na not that I'm aware o,f I guess in year or so should have good grip on it when few the tagged fish start to get recaptured
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Flickin4em wrote:Some bl..dy brilliant pics there, and stonker fish too mate well done ! :bow:
What was the measurement on that monster in the 4th pic ?
I've tried a few times at our impoundment up here (manton dam) but can never really get onto much action with a complete doughnut being the norm for my trips. If you would care to share a few tips it'd be greatly appreciated. BTW that sounder pic is top notch too.

Cheers for the report. :cheers:

cheers mate big one went 126 a bl..dy heavy thing , in regards to tips iv found in my short experience (lake fishing) the three things id suggest is get best structure scan fishfinder you can afford they can be found in sum unusual spot as opposed to river fish (lack natural predators at guess) , natural coloured lures and big is good in producing strikes on shut down fish and I normally work areas that I can see fish, jumping from one to another over few hour period giving each spot 10 to 20 min . Sooner or later one group fish will react and strike . in lake Kununurra they seem shut down a heck of a lot , I read the same sort things from various other lakes in aus to though in regards to barra lakes
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I wonder if it's due to depth V's water temp that makes them less tempted.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

What can I say except Barra chub! :lol:
Regards Dick
CJ87
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CJ87 »

hi mate , got couple right on sunset 750 /850 you in the big plate boat was couple boats around for Monday evening.
A big grey territory legend (wife’s boat). Had a bit of a
Sound around in a few of the usual spots on the way up the lake and spied a few Barra but didn’t fish them. Might try tomorrow depending on the weather.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The fish look bl..dy healthy. Sonar pic is a cracker :catch:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I really hope restocking continues. One day it could rival the QLD impoundments. That a hummingbird sounder?
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Lats wrote:I really hope restocking continues. One day it could rival the QLD impoundments. That a hummingbird sounder?
No a HDS gen 2 blew up other night debating wether to switch over to humminbird helix
CJ87
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CJ87 »

Well finally got out for a fish. Went Saturday arvo for a look, said to myself i wouldn't fish or look in the usual spots in the hope of finding something new.

Went okay, learnt a few new areas and caught two in the low 80's. Both ate 5 in soft plastics.

Got smashed by the electrical storm on the run home after dark. Had to google what happens when a boat get struck by lightning when i got home, a few were way to close! Lost my sunnies trying to retrieve the boat is the pissing rain but all in all a good arvo.

Went back up today with the family for a swim. Its really an awesome piece of water.

Cheers