Minn Kota not turning

jnea6
Silver Member
Silver Member

Minn Kota not turning

Post by jnea6 »

My min Kota has suddenly stopped turning altogether, all the other functions work except for the turning part, tried with remote as well as foot control. I’ve pulled it apart and all wires look good. Anyone else ever had this problem.

Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Minn Kota not turning

Post by Swoffa »

Quite a common fault with most likely one of three problems:
1. Control board burnt out (most common and costs around $500 to replace)
2. Brushes worn out (costs around $50 to replace)
3. Bad spade terminal connections in the head unit (uncommon but costs nothing to repair)

The best way to check it is to remove the head unit cover. Cut off the heat shrink off the red/black wires that go through the shaft to the motor. Apply 12V DC (connect battery) to the two wires going down the shaft to the motor. If motor turns then it is not the brushes but more likely one of the other two issues. Reconnect the wires as they originally were and try using the remote again. If it is still no go then it is most likely (but not definitely) the control module.

I have got a few spare parts around the house and can check out the motor for you if you want.

The failure of the control board is the most common and usually caused by trying to turn the prop while it is stuck in mud or has fishing line caught around the prop shaft. Failure of the left / right control is also caused most often by turning the motor while it is jammed in mud or some other obstruction. Big hint for Minn Kota users is to stop any propulsion or turn motion if the motor becomes stuck in snags or mud. Saves expensive repair bills :D

Cheers

Warren :drinking1:
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

Mine done the same and it turned out to be the turning motor
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Have had this happen when batteries for electric start getting low on charge. Can still steer and turn on etc but doesn't like turning. Before jumping to conclusions. Check simple things first.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Not jumping to conclusions....just advising best way to deal with a dead electric motor as I have done on multiple repairs...

For interest, I have checked out the Minn Kota in question and it did in fact turn out to be the control module.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side