Poor mans heli fishing

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Poor mans heli fishing

Post by qiksix »

Just for something different this morning i thought i would dodge the trip into buff creek and then the sometimes treacherous trip across shoal bay and go and have a flick up at the old spot six at the top of the little howard. How did i get there, well about 5 months ago i decided i needed a new hobby, i've always wanted to fly so I got my arse off the couch, and went and got something i always wanted. A pilots license and some form of flying machine! What i ended up with was an aerochute, basically a powered parachute, or some might say a 2 seat billy cart and a rotaxed powered fan! Best thing i've ever done and up here is a great place to fly, no need to rug up is the best part!

So departing an old quarry out gun point i set off across the flood plains for the short 6 minute trip, done a few low passes to scope a landing strip on the flats, a couple of touch and goes to see how boggy it was and I sat her down. With the neap tides and no rain over the last few days it was pretty firm under foot. Luckily! I spent a bit of time flicking around, i couldn't get to the other part of the run off where i had some luck in a boat a few weeks ago. Unfortunately no barra which is becoming a very regular thing for me of late but any day not working and doing something you love is a good day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Poor mans heli fishing

Post by jeffish »

8) WOW,, 8) Thats just TOOOOOOO cool. What an adventure I'm sure Dry season will open up even more landing sights .

What sort of range do you get out of that flying machine .
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Amazing!
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

It's not a lot jeffish, depending on load and conditions around 100km, if i'm by myself a can sit a jerry in the passenger seat and double the range.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Very cool, seen Andy doing this kind of fishing on the East Coast. Looks amazing. If you could get in close enough you would have access to some great flood plain creeks like Swim creek and Marsh creek barrages.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Awesome :D

Have you strapped the Epirb on?
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

There is a few blokes up here with them flicken4em, everyone one says it looks sketchy, but if some one that is scared of heights like myself gets in it cant be too bad lol
Ninjafish, epirb was in the bag, it would be a pretty sh..ty walk out of there!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Far out that's different.

Good on ya!
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Awesome!!!!
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Now that is cool! now for some fish photos
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Wonder how you would go trolling a lure out the back :D :catch:
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Yeah - too cool 8)

Looks like a lot of water dropped since I was last up there a few weeks ago - you really need to be where you are towards the top of a rising spring tide.

A different slant on George's big muthafukka v8 airboat that regularly visits that 'secret' spot - he used to pretty well 'own' the spot but every man and their dog
there now days that all the mangrove jungle has eroded out the front allowing boat access ....