New floor in Seajay - Recommendations

kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

New floor in Seajay - Recommendations

Post by kingsley_z »

Hi all,

Doing part of my floor in the Seajay. It's a 5 metre Bowrider (Wanderer), and the floor has been nice and flexible for a little while now at the rear. Going to re-use the carpet if it comes off okay.

Just after recommendations on a few issues, specifically:

- where to buy the ply from (so far, it's just going to be Bunnings);
- where to buy the carpet from (as above);
- width of the ply - was just going to put the same width that is already in there. Bunnings has widths of 4mm to 18mm;
- what to seal the ply with - looking at monocel gold marine grade clear vtimber arnish; and
- how to attach the carpet - any issue with being lazy and using liquid nails?

ALTERNATIVELY - if you've had an operator do your floor and want to recommend happy to receive those tips as well!

Any input/tips welcome. Would hate to still be working on it once this water recedes!

TIA
Kingsley

wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Re: New floor in Seajay - Recommendations

Post by wazdog »

I bought my floor from bunnings, cant remember what type, all I know is it wasn't marine grade as it was too expensive, key is to seal it a couple(with what you mentioned above) of times prior glueing the carpet back on with contact. I sealed the edges too which is a must.

My floor is now 4 years old and still solid and in good order.
Hope this helps buddy
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

wazdog wrote:I bought my floor from bunnings, cant remember what type, all I know is it wasn't marine grade as it was too expensive, key is to seal it a couple(with what you mentioned above) of times prior glueing the carpet back on with contact. I sealed the edges too which is a must.

My floor is now 4 years old and still solid and in good order.
Hope this helps buddy
Thanks mate, it does. 4 years I could live with. Given I was going to spend a fair bit on the varnish, going cheaper on the ply isn't a bad idea. Cheers
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

kingsley_z wrote:Hi all,

Doing part of my floor in the Seajay. It's a 5 metre Bowrider (Wanderer), and the floor has been nice and flexible for a little while now at the rear. Going to re-use the carpet if it comes off okay.

Just after recommendations on a few issues, specifically:

- where to buy the ply from (so far, it's just going to be Bunnings);

Bunnings or Trade building supplies, for timber you have three choices as mentioned below if you are replacing with original thickness I believe that would be 17mm in Form Ply (It was in the Seajay Tropic at least) but I have done one (another Tropic) in 12mm and it came up nicely the reason I mention this is as follows:
Marine Ply - nice to work with no voids but horrendously expensive, needs to be sealed but gives the best long term result
Form Ply - cheap and pre sealed on the faces so less work and nice to glue carpet to, some voids, both Seajay and Quintrex currently use form ply.
CD exterior - cheap but nasty to work with and has voids, also requires huge amounts of sealing.

Where to buy the carpet from (as above);
Bunnings is good get the "Top Deck" and if you have the dark Seajay carpet it will be a very close match. Don't reuse the carpet unless you just want to repair the specific section that's rotted out
- width of the ply - was just going to put the same width that is already in there. Bunnings has widths of 4mm to 18mm;
As mentioned above the current size is 17mm but 18mm or 12mm is a viable option
- what to seal the ply with - looking at monocel gold marine grade clear timber varnish; and
That would be a good option
- how to attach the carpet - any issue with being lazy and using liquid nails?
Use Selleys Quickgrip or similar or Synthetic turf adhesive don't use liquid nails it appears to break down with saltwater exposure I've seen the results and it was a #$%& to deal with
ALTERNATIVELY - if you've had an operator do your floor and want to recommend happy to receive those tips as well!
Give me a call and we can go into that
Any input/tips welcome. Would hate to still be working on it once this water recedes!

TIA
Kingsley
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks John - that is extremely helpful. In fact, that'd be a helpful reference for anyone doing their decks.

Was looking too thin - will go with 12mm I think. Probably go Form ply, and yes was looking at the "Top Deck".

Every point hit the mark - thanks mate.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

I'm also considering doing the floor in my boat this weekend. This info is extremely useful.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

As John said but I also do just a little bit extra:
Cut the carpet so that it goes over the edge and allow about a 50mm border to wrap around the underside.
I use Liquid nails (extra strength) to seal the edges and 50mm lip to the underside of the floor.
I then use thumb tacks every couple of inches to hold it in place but make sure you remove the tacks before installing the floor.

Canopy Man in Bishop Street has the same type carpet as used in the SeaJay.

Good luck and post some photos. :mrgreen:
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Swoffa makes a good point with making sure you have enough carpet to wrap the edges properly, Also the thumb tacks are a good point. However I went one step further on the last refloor I did and just brought a cheap staple gun, it saved me loads of time.

Cheers, :cheers:

John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Thin the first monocell layer right out so it soaks deep. Also soak the edges. I used marine ply and wrapped the edges. It's a heck of a job if you have a lot of floor panels like me and worth going overboard to avoid having to do it for a long time. Don't go too thick on the ply, it is heavy and you're dragging it on every trip
JAH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JAH »

I done the floor on my sea jay a couple years ago.Got the ply and a sealant from Bunnings,can't remember what thickness or sealant,used the old floor as a template and put 4 Coates of sealant on.Then dropped it off at The Canopy man and he carpeted it.I picked it up took it home and screwed it in.Cant remember the cost but worked out quite cheap.Still solid as.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Might look into the cost of getting the carpet and adhesive from bunnings vs the Canopy man carpeting the ply after I seal it.

Good idea Swoffa, will remember to take a few pics along the way. Will give a run down on total cost too - at the moment my bunnings cart is around $600.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Don’t think you will get 12 mm form ply, you may be able to order in but will cost more then the 17 mm.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks Mickkk, yeah realised after posting that. Will go the 12mm marine ply.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Good topic, keep us posted