New Years Day Barra

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

New Years Day Barra

Post by Captain6979 »

Well, after a relatively quiet New Years eve, I decide to have the first flick for 2018 at the Buff..
It had been a while since we had some good barra there land-based. Land-based can be challenging at the best of times, and I've been given the green-light by the "Boss", aka the " Mrs", to fish whenever I can at the moment, as the grass on the lawn grows longer.... :D
The 2nd cast of the day yielded a nice Cod, yes folks, the Codfather rears his head on the first day of the New Year.... I got that many of them over the last couple of months, that all fish were starting to look like cod...
Sun....hot.....tide....late as usual coming in..
Hadn't caught much last few trips down to the Buff, except for potential malaria, and future melanomas, so we were due for something.
After a possible 200 or so casts, and with RSI fast approaching, much like QLD State of Origin coaches lifting trophies over the years, the "Bill's Bugs" fizzer got lucky..
The rig setup was a 13 fishing concept reel, I got off Theodosius, and the rod one I scored from Balou, thanks guys. There was definitely no line-peeling with 22lbs of drag on thay reel baby!
A shade over 55cm, and I didn't even need to squash him.. A beauty silver barra! And after a quick pic, it was back into the water for him, in a bid to catch him another day....
And not to belittle his fellow fishy friends, in the words of Matt Flynn: " thank God for the Cod."
Tight lines kids!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New Years Day Barra

Post by jeffish »

Nice work Cap 8) , Buff can be very hot and cold and you are fishing a good spot , the tide there is always latter than Darwin . :catch:
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Is that one of those forked-tail barramundi, Capn?
Regards
Ronje
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Not sure Ronje, I just know the sound it makes when it smokes that surface lure. Ha ha
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

its always great to see a landbased barra
mafoo25
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mafoo25 »

BOOM! Let me know next time ya go for a flick!
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Will do foo!