Cape York wilderness vs NT

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Cape York wilderness vs NT

Post by Matt Flynn »

Interesting map on this story depicts Cape York largely as no longer being "wilderness", but there's still plenty in the NT ... https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-for-good

NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Cape York wilderness vs NT

Post by NTFizzer »

Cape York is more of a wilderness than the NT - you can drive a Yaris or tow a big ass boat trouble free almost through all the NT, but you can't get away with that too far up the Cape.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Both are completely different but i think that the cape is more wilderness, here its just wild
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I'd say the Cape has plenty of wilderness, what I think is interesting is that they don't think so, I am curious what they base their judgement on
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

The decision is based on a number of things, the criteria requires that the ecology and environment is largely intact and healthy.

The entire area of FNQ is basically devoid of any natural ecology caused predominately by Cane Toads, the top end of the NT will soon be the same as our bush is decimated by this curse.

Other area have suffered land clearing, overgrazing, fires, water overuse, the list go's on.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Mmmm... There is so much wilderness in the NT that is not accessible by any car and I've watched it decline over the years due to Cane Toads.

Mid to late 80's Media & NT Governement were saying there were no cane toads and they weren't a problem in the NT yet but there were plenty up the Tablelands Hwy beef road North of the Barkly Homestead by 89 and the by the mid to late 90's they were out on the Sir Edwin Pellew Group of Islands. Hell I remember trying to line a pair up in the gap at Larrimah with a road train in 88 (twice a week in the dark) but they were fast and probably so because they were the front line, but still 'they weren't a problem' in the NT.

The Native Fauna that was in absolute abundance on these islands disappeared dramatically and in some areas seem non existent including on the Mainland.

Wonderwobbler - you are unfortunately, correct.
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

NT suffers sea rises, weeds, fire and toads are well established through to WA. Cape York suffers varying degrees of the same.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Too many people.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Too many people.
Yep, and the feds are bringing in more at record rates ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rate.html

And it's dragging us down ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-19/h ... ne/8193628