Fishing Guide

hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fishing Guide

Post by hottuna »

After another massive season, we need to grow again.

Anglers Choice are chasing a progressive and passionate fishing guide to expand our operation.

You will have:
Coxswains Certificate
Senior First Aid
Awesome personality
Attention to detail
Team player

Please email [email protected]

Bluewater Dreamin'
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Fishing Guide

Post by Matt Flynn »

The ads for fishing guides never mention fish-catching ability :D
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Matt Flynn wrote:The ads for fishing guides never mention fish-catching ability :D
That is where any of the bad ones I have been with make their mistakes. AC have the add right , the rest need to realise their not in the fishing business. They are in the hospitality business if you advertising for a commercial fisherman it's fish catching ability you need.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That is where any of the bad ones I have been with make their mistakes. AC have the add right , the rest need to realise their not in the fishing business. They are in the hospitality business if you advertising for a commercial fisherman it's fish catching ability you need.
Agreed, the ability to entertain when the fish aren't biting would be very important :catch:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I would throw my hat in the ring but i dont like people! :)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Must admit, I find taking newbies fishing like pulling teeth - fixing the birdnests, tying knots, hooks stuck in things, losing fish, moaning, beer farts, lack of expert banter - and that's just me fishing, I don't need someone else adding to it :D :D :D
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Yeah there is no doubt its not a job for everyone, but to me its about the best job in world. The good times far out weigh the bad and in my experience you tend to get out of it what you put in.
Just to give you an insight from the other side of the coin. I much prefer candidates that have no previous guiding history. In my experience, its much easier to train up solid employees rather than try and remould them. Fish catching ability is something we can teach (a big part of it anyway), its the personality side and outlook that I find hardest to tick boxes with.

Myself, I get genuine enjoyment from sharing experiences on the water with people. Be it showing somebody their first shark or croc in the wild, experiencing a wet season storm or switching their first sail. For the most part their joy and enthusiasm is infectious. Sure, occasionally you will meet people that are just genuine downers in life. But thankfully I can count those experiences on one hand. I just smile and wave, tomorrow is another day. Most become firm friends and it becomes like fishing with mates. It also pushes you to get more refined and accurate with your fishing overall(again just my opinion).
In the past, I've found that the best results have come from guides who started their fishing in the southern states. These guys tend to refine their skills on hard fished species, they develop an appreciation for finesse and attention to detail and when they apply it up here they do well. We turn over very few guides, and when we do its usually because life gets in the way.
Bluewater Dreamin'
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Agree that it would be very rewarding. Generally I do enjoy taking newbs fishing, but there has been a couple of grand exceptions.

I considered guiding down here but I think wine and cheese river tours would be more likely to succeed and I wouldn't have to get up early.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Matt Flynn wrote:Must admit, I find taking newbies fishing like pulling teeth - fixing the birdnests, tying knots, hooks stuck in things, losing fish, moaning, beer farts, lack of expert banter - and that's just me fishing, I don't need someone else adding to it :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Just bumping this guys.
On the hunt for another guide to join us.
Same details as original ad
Bluewater Dreamin'