NT artificial reef program enters new phase

Scuttlers of FFF unite and show us your sinkings!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

NT artificial reef program enters new phase

Post by Matt Flynn »

NT Govt Press Release - Artificial Reefs
More great news for NT fishers as the Territory Labor Government’s $50 million investment in
recreational fishing infrastructure gathers pace.
Minister for Primary Industry and Resources, Ken Vowles, said the latest progress as part of the $50
million investment is the appointment of CARDNO to provide technical recommendations regarding
the development of artificial reefs and Fish Attraction Devices (FADs).
“We are investing heavily in recreational fishing because it creates jobs and supports business while
enhancing the NT’s reputation as a world-class fishing destination,” Mr Vowles said.
“We are confident CARDNO can help us deliver a great product for local fishing as their Darwin
project team has a blend of expertise across several disciplines, including experts with extensive
backgrounds in both artificial reefs and FADs.
“CARDNO will work closely with fisheries scientists and key stakeholders to identify artificial reef and
FAD designs to suit the Territory, and will pay particular attention to the vulnerability of certain
species to over fishing, such as golden snapper and black jewfish.”
After consultation takes place with key stakeholders and the community, CARDNO will compile a
report for the NT Government and Recreational Fishing Advisory Committee by early 2018.
Mr Vowles said another step in the NT Government’s $50 million investment in recreational fishing
will see a study to determine the feasibility of removing the built-up sediment at Nightcliff Boat
Ramp.
“The study will involve the collection and analysis of the sediments to be removed, liaising with
industry and reporting sediment removal/deposition options, including costs. The tender for this
project closed on Wednesday,” Mr Vowles said.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: NT artificial reef program enters new phase

Post by nomad »

For a minute there, I thought that they were going to drag the Stena in a bit closer and
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Not fancy enough Nomad.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I don't think they will be going down the junk reef path nomad.

I would have liked to have seen a purely NT company get going to oversee the new approach, as there's a chance to develop private enterprise expertise here, and much knowledge has already been gained by NT Fisheries staff with the junk reef program.

"Junk reefs" are legal as long as the required processes are followed, and it is not a case of littering the sea floor, that's just a matter of semantics.

Bit late anyway to be worried about junk, after the WWII attack and cyclones, there's already a fair bit of "junk" out there, including whatever bombs and ammo missed by the clearance teams of a few years ago.

I hope the new mob will demonstrate economic reasons why purpose-built reefs are economically a better option. Bang for buck is important and no doubt I am not the only one who is tired of seeing governments waste money with contractors and big ideas.

Fishermen might prefer to have five trawler wrecks sunk separately, rather than three purpose-designed concrete modules. Trawler wrecks and the like can be provided cheap, albeit an unpredictable supply, the only cost is them being cleaned and made safe for divers, and the scuttling.

Purpose-built reefs must be designed, constructed and then installed. And only after lots of meetings :D

It remains to be seen what the purpose-built reefs cost will be.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with. They might suggest a mix of both, as has been done in Hervey Bay and Moreton Bay in Queensland.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

It's like the govt housing projects consoltants will burn the money up. Very little will be sunk if anything.
tight lines