Reefies on the surface?

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Reefies on the surface?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice post back in June from Humbug Sportfishing, snapper on the surface with the tuna ... https://www.facebook.com/fishing.gps.re ... rs.wrecks/?

Never pulled a snapper off the surface myself but I did hook a big cod about 100m off Larrakeyah rock wall once while trolling a shallow lure.

Anyone else scored surface reefies?

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Reefies on the surface?

Post by Lats »

Not personally but big goldies will come up to the surface under the prawn trawler lights knocking off flying fish
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Fishing the reef a few k's directly east of the Fish Reef marker pole years ago midway thru a flogging spring tide in 20mtrs odd, terminal tackle
wasn't grounding until 30 or 40 meters behind the boat. Had a few small enquires & thought I'd been debaited - was winding back in to check,
and about ten meters behind the boat in maybe 5 meters of water got nailed by a nice mid 60's Goldie (best fish for the trip ...)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Actually that reminds me, I did a hook a small jewie right under the boat in 40m of water off the Six Mile ground, but I reckon it followed the bait up. It had someone else's hook in its mouth too.
JAH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JAH »

Have caught Trout,Trickes,Flag and Blue Bone on poppers up Coburg flicking shallow Reef on sunset in about 10-15 ft of water.The Trout boof like a Barra the first one I hooked I thought was a Barra I was hooting and howlling and then came up a smashing Trout so I was disappointed.Never got a goldy thought.
JAH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JAH »

That should read wasn't disappointed
JimmyTaylor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyTaylor »

We caught jewies just in from Sampan a few months back with a landing net, no rod required. We reckon there might have been too much fresh water, they were floating, almost looked dead! We fished hard all day for donuts, so this made our day. :fishy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishhunter81
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fishhunter81 »

Yeah we had the same experience at Dundee of Point Blaze around the same time! Couldn't find them on the bottom, and then ol mate gets one on a slug casting into the baitball and it was game on!