Heading North

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
breamtim
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Heading North

Post by breamtim »

Hi Guys

I'm heading up north (from south west vic) next month and will be up for about two months, until early september. Heading up on a family trip, but I'm bringing a few rods and a heap of lures, some of my bream gear for the sootys and freshwater fish, and some casting gear and heavier spins for Barra. Im sure ill be able to find spots on the way, but wouldn't mind going to some decent spots too. Going to be primarily land based, unless I hire a boat. Im after a few good spots around Darwin where I can fish land based, but if theres any good spots without too many crocs ( big call :D ) where I can fish land based that would be good too, in NT or QLD. Already thinking of Darwin Harbour and maybe Corroboree with a hire boat. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Tim

NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Heading North

Post by NT Wombat »

If your really into Bream you might be surprised by the completely overlooked bream fishing in Darwin. I have caught a few 2kg plus bream over the years. The foreshores around Larrakia are good, the biggest bream I have caught have come from the Rock in Shoal Bay but every rock bar in the harbor has them. There is a darwin landbased fishing guide avaliable from servos and tackle shops up here - thats probably the best spot to start. There are also blokes on here looking for deckies pretty regularly if you dont mind chucking in for fuel/bait/beer/ice.
breamtim
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by breamtim »

Thanks heaps, ill keep an eye out for the land based guide, going to pick up a 2017 copy of the northern Aus fish finder too. Just the bream by catch up there is probably a bit better than the occasional estuary perch or small mulloway down here :D
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Plenty of good landbased fishing around Darwin metro. Always assume a crocodile is around, even off Darwin metro, it only takes one stray croc to do the job.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Hello bloke,

It is an often asked question, and without being off putting, my best suggestion is to have search on the site through landbased posts,

There is also a blog that someone should mention (because I cant remember the name) of a local bloke who is mainly landbased and he gives some good tips. Matt Flynn might have the link somewhere. or it will pop up in the landbased search.

There are plenty of great landbased adventures to be had for a heap of different species so it is best you do a bit of reading to get the best info..

Similar for Coroboree, which is a great family fishing spot, just dont dangle your fingers in the water hey

Enjoy your time here,
breamtim
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by breamtim »

Yeah I've seen that blog, this one I think http://secretbarramundi.blogspot.com.au
breamtim
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by breamtim »

Is fishing allowed inside the Cullen bay marina? looks like a bit of access along Cullen Bay Crescent, or are you not allowed to fish along there? Thanks

Spots I'm looking at the moment are east point, the lakes in Palmerston, lee point and maybe rapid creek and some of the foreshore beaches around east and lee points. Not too fussed on what I catch
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Cullen bay....

no fishing inside the marina. Even off the pontoon that the ferry pulls up casting in towards the lock or rocks under the board walk. the security guards can be a bit of an issue some nights depending who's on duty. they don't like it. But out off their rock wall with livies you've got a better chance of getting onto a decent fish includung the odd jack.

Palmy lakes....

not really fishing that good this year IMO and a bit cold now anyway. Few barra in there but they're super fussy bieng well fed it fishes OK during the earlier months around the areas the drains pour into them but all are dry now. I wouldn't waste my limited time fishing there. But.....you never know, try a skitterpop at night if you want to give it a go. Theres better spots nearby though. I'd try elizabeth river under the bridge or southport for a few Land Based bream. If you've got a 4wd use it to get a bit further away from the regularly flogged spots.

Try Channel Island for a few baz and pelagics, there's untouched pikey bream fishing there too. Pioneer creek used to be full of them but you need a boat to access it. Or stop at the finniss and a few rivers around Katherine on you lap and try for a few sooties , lures to bring are a 15A gold bomber saltwater version and 3D crystal minnow yozuri for the barra as well as the ever reliable maribou jigs and a variety of different sized raiders for spinning for queenies and trevally. failing them 7/0 gamakatsu octopus and livies will pull a few out. Sooties will eat a multitude of baits but a bit of fresh roadkill wallaby is hard to beat, or chicken or sections of peeled prawns go well on them too. I buy mine from woolies and if you don't use them all you can still eat them on the barbie afterwards if you get nothing or as an entree accompanied by freshly crumbed bream or barra fillets.

Best of luck...
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
breamtim
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by breamtim »

Still yet to get myself a barra, missed a good fish today at coroboree on a frog, as well as missing one at the bank at channel island. Hooked plenty of tarpon and small stuff but still trying for the barra!
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

mate....i would head out to shady barrage or Cahills crossing.They wont be big barra but you will definately get one.
Single hook soft placcies, look at my report "Cahills Kaos".............that was only 2 weeks ago, fish the hour or 2 before the high.
Like gold fish said, i have found the palmy lakes arent fishing very well either
Edo
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Sent u a pm today breamtim ...

I've got a spot available tomorrow to fish in the tinny on a bit of rarely fished aboriginal land for meterys that we cut a boatramp into about a month ago..... let me know if you're interested via pm.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
breamtim
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by breamtim »

Thanks again for the offer goldfish, would have definitely been keen if I was still in Darwin

Well I finally got my first barra, from a little billabong we camped next to in Kakadu. Not big at all (it was tiny :D ) but I didn't care! Also got a few toga, on surface. The next day I fished Yellow Waters, (boat based) and lost count of all the barra I caught (probably about 30). They're just as good as everyone says they are, and its going to be hard heading back south!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.