Chasing Finke Bay/Wildman/West Ally head information

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chasing Finke Bay/Wildman/West Ally head information

Post by kingsley_z »

Hello all,

Have a trip planned on Saturday overnight and half of Sunday to Finke Bay, possibly up to West Alligator head weather permitting. Will be three of us in a 5.3 Quintrex. Don't have a great sounder.

Chasing some information for both hazards and fishing. Yes, have checked other posts and yes, I have read what the Bible had to offer. Would really appreciate any input based on experience/knowledge.

Have figured out launch/retrieve times based on the information in the book, and Stuarts tree camp saying you can launch with 3.8 metres of water and more. Will call them to book a few days' out (to make sure the wind doesn't get out of control in the meantime). FYI, it's still $50 to use their ramp.

Any idea of what sort of tide/wind will cause a rough trip through the Bay? We figure if it blows up, we'll head into the Wildman an anchor overnight.

On the Wildman:
Is there a decent channel?
Does it get cutoff? At what height?

Understand Love/Carmour are inaccessible this time of year on neaps?

Does anyone have any marks for out the front of Pocock's and/or in the Finke for bottom bashing? Or any marks out that way in general? PMs welcome!!

Any help is much appreciated. Exploratory trip, don't have really high expectations, just looking to get a feel, have a few cans and get a couple of fish.

Have attached a rough map with distances. Doesn't add much, but looks pretty.

If you'd rather talk about it, shoot me a PM with mobile and I can call.

Thanks all

KZ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Chasing Finke Bay/Wildman/West Ally head information

Post by kingsley_z »

Bump
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've relayed your question to someone with some handy experience out there, might have an answer soon.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Make sure to hug the coast as you go past middle beach..1m of water is plenty. :rofl:

The islands oyster rock shelfs off west alligator head produce some decent goldies. And good sized baz in the buildup too. Carry a spare prop or 2. And the pins and tools to change it. Or you'll be spewin'

I've got several marks for out there which we pull goldies on placcys to the mid 80's nearly every trip. But you're not getting them due to your earlier smart alec comments on some of my posts.

Have fun trying though...
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Starting point are the marks in the book.

Goldfish - no need to get mad that you got caught out posting pictures that weren't yours accompanied by BS stories about the day. I recollect you'd pinched them from the website of a charter operator (from QLD?) and claimed them as your own? Is that what happened? Suck it up. You were dishonest and got caught out. No loss - I doubt you have any marks in any event.
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

It's a trip best done with another boat or 2 if possible. Take spare prop and heaps of fuel. Lots of hazards and when the wind picks up and can be pretty ordinary on the headlands. $50 to use the ramp will be money well spent. Been a few years since I was there but it's the sort of area you just need to have slow cautious look around and watch your sounder. Should find golden, jewes pretty easily but will have to work hard for barra this time of year. We fished a spot at the mouth and our anchor was out of the water but we were fishing 90ft!!
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks Harmsey. We've hopefully got a second boat joining. Take your point on the prop. Will definitely be cruising at a pretty conservative pace.

Thought we might tuck in around the mangroves near Pococks on the high (weather permitting) to see if there's any barra there.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Also - that point about the mouth (I assume of the Wildman) - do you think it's accessible with 4 metres or more? I was looking at Navionics and it gives you the impression that there's a gradual incline in the bay but that sounds like there are some really nice drop offs all the way in!
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

I'm guessing he was talking about the West Alli or the South. The wildmans mouth is shallow mud.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

scottmac wrote:I'm guessing he was talking about the West Alli or the South. The wildmans mouth is shallow mud.
cheers
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I think you'll find marks out there easy enough, keep in mind big goldies and jewies can be found in very shallow water.

You probably already know but the West Alli is closed to fishing.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks to those that provided useful information on the forum and in PM. Outboard alarm in brother's boat went off late in the week and that was the end of it. Didn't want to do the big trip without a service.

Information will get used, when I do the trip I'll do a report. Hopefully before the rain comes.

Cheers Matt, yes aware the West is closed, recall that it was for research?